We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbiana, Ohio
reviews: 26
Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

Hi everyone, Just wondering about snorkeling off of the Montezuma area and what dangers we may need to be aware of. We will be travelling down there from Oct. 4-14th and staying in Las Rocas where they say the snorkeling is great.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

I have had not hear on any shark attacks in that area for many years...like anywhere else...the best answer can be once at location ask the locals where is a safe place...and of course common sense!

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
2. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

I have gotten my share of jelly fish stings in CR. Not a big deal if you now how to take care of the sting. First, don't rinse it off with fresh water. Vinegar works great and hot/warm compress. I always have a little bottle of vinegar in my beach bag. Can help with swimmers ear too. If you do this first then you will be all good. If you rinse off with fresh water first then you may have a few days of discomfort.

Columbiana, Ohio
3. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

Thank you for your response and will heed your advice.

Columbiana, Ohio
4. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

Thank you also for your advice and will be getting vinegar once we get down there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

You are WELCOME!

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

Ask the locals for the best places to swim. Dangerous rocks by Las Rocas area, please ask WHERE IS GOOD TO GO before going into the water!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
7. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

I second Humberto's suggestion. The area around Montezuma can have high waves, dangerous rocks and rip currents. Some of the beaches have signs posted warning of dangerous conditions. Be sure and ask the locals once your are there where it is safe to go before snorkeling that day. Conditions can change from day to day.

8. Re: Are there any snorkeling dangers, jellyfish, sharks, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 14, 2013