We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sisters, Oregon
reviews: 37
Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

Heading back to CR in March with two daughters (18 + 21). Been to Nosara, Tamarindo, Samara previously. Tamarindo was too busy, Nosara too quiet, Samara was pretty good. Looking for beach time, easy surf, and some local nightlife. A hike into the jungle would be a plus. Would Montezuma or Santa Teresa be better for us?

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 6
1. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

Santa Teresa more quiet than Montezuma, better surf also. Any thoughts on visiting Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side, Good surf for all levels, beautiful deserted beaches, tropical rain-forest.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
2. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

The Caribbean side would be my choice too, but Montezuma is a cool place to hang out and has plenty to do for your daughters. Santa Teresa is quite spread out and doesn't have the night life options that Montezuma can offer.

Have a great trip!

Sisters, Oregon
reviews: 37
3. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

been to Puerto Viejo also - very different vibe than the Pac coast. We liked the beaches there and food/nighlife options. Sounds like Montezuma might be the best option for this trip. thanks for the tip

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 123
4. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

If you want an actual town, like Samara or Puerto Viejo, then Montezuma is a good option. Santa Teresa/Play Carmen/Mal Pais area is very spread out, but also a beautiful area.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
5. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

montezuma all the way! you can rent atvs there and zoom over them ountains to mal pais and sta teresa for a day trip.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
6. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

Now I always think of the Santa Teresa area as being busier than Montezuma. There are the few intersections where it's busy with shops and people and parking and the strip of stores. They've got a few banks and a lot more stores than Montezuma. (The one intersection I'm thinking of might not be technically Santa Teresa). Plus, I think the beaches are busier too.

But other than those few spots most of town is spread out along a long super dusty road. (The dust is why I stay away from Santa Teresa).

I'd suggest Montezuma: you've got waterfalls in a few different directions. You've got Cabo Blanco National Reserve. You've got beach and surfing seems to have become more common north of town up the beach.

Went to Puerto Viejo on my last trip, much busier than Santa Teresa and Montezuma (felt more like party town).

Gary

http://garysaid.com/tags/montezuma/

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

I think Montezuma offer some nice hikes...like the one to Montezuma waterfall...and some to near beaches...Cabo Blanco is a great hike...

roadadvisor

8. Re: Montezuma or Santa Teresa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 27, 2013