We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Curridabat, Costa...
reviews: 6
Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Hey everyone! I live in Curridabat and there isn't a local bus that goes until San Jose until 6AM, so I can't take the early direct bus. I figure I'll take a 7 AM bus or so from San Jose to Puntarenas, take the ferry and still get to Montezuma at a reasonable hour. My question is.. is there always a bus that picks up ferry passengers and heads to Montezuma?

I'd hate to get all the to Paquera and still have to take a taxi. Thanks everyone!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Yes they are there waiting for passengers all the time...

roadadvsior

Curridabat, Costa...
2. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Thanks roadadvisor!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

You are WELCOME Jason!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

I think without the passengers from the ferry the busses would be almost empty ;-) Don't worry, I went to Montezuma three times, always by bus and just once I took the direct bus from San Jose. After all I thought that NOT taking the direct bus is maybe even a better option. Only the local busses are less comfortable but the experience is nice and they are very reliable. They even communicate with the people at the ferry if there is a problem.

Have fun in Montezuma, I always enjoy being there, its a beautiful place!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
5. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

I've been told several times that the last ferry in to Paquera does not have buses waiting. But, I'm not sure if that's from 3-4 different people or the same person 3-4 times.

The directo is air conditioned and doesn't make many stops so that's very nice.

Do all the buses from San Jose to Puntarenas take you to the ferry or do they stop at the beginning of the Puntarenas peninsula and then you have to get to the other end? (Another thing I've heard, but I'm always looking for updated information)...

Gary

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
6. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

garylapointe,

I did not chime in on this thread because when I did the trip it was probably about 6 years ago - and I figured things may have changed. But what you mentioned, sort of mirrored my one experience. We left for Puntarenas sometimes in mid afternoon. The bus to Punta stopped at the bus station. We had to find a cab to take us to the port. It took us a while to get one. I think all the locals who knew what they were doing moved quickly and grabbed all the waiting cabs. By the time we got one, we arrived at the port just as a ferry was tooting its horn to leave. So we had to wait a couple of hours for the next one It was already dark by the time it left. By the time we got to Paquera it was pitch dark and pouring rain to add to the problem. If there was any bus, either it left before we figured out where they were or else it wasn't there. Anyway - we ended up taking a cab to Montezuma.

As I said, this was several years back. - so maybe things have changed. If it were now, I don't think I'd have had issues because I would have researched on Tripadvisor and and asked the right questions like Jason has and figured the whole trip out better ;)

Jason, since you are leaving early in the day, I doubt if you will have problems. You can check the bus schedule

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/cr/index.php to give you some idea of when the buses are supposed to leave Paquera so it will give you an idea how long you might have to wait. (Keeping in mind that the bus schedules are always subject to change)

raquel

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
7. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Raquel,

That's pretty much what I've always heard too. About the switching at Puntarenas, it's not near the ferry. Plus, it sounds like you hit the last ferry and there was no bus on the other side.

If you've got to take a cab anyways (and switch buses), it might be more practical to cab it to San Jose and just catch the 6am directo bus and not have to worry about those connections. Plus you're there even earlier (and it's A/C most of the ride).

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Yes thats correct, the busses to Puntarenas don't go to the ferry so you will have to take a cab. But the ride is short and probably there are many people who will do the same so you could even share tha taxi with somebody.

Then you will have to buy the ticket and cross the street to get to the ferry. When you arrive in Paquera there are busses waiting but make sure that you get on the one that goes directly to Montezuma. Other buses I think go to Malpais or to Cobano.

I always took early buses and ferrys so I never had problems. Maybe its true that the last ferry doesn't have any buses waiting...I have no information about that.

What bothered me with the direct bus from San Jose:

It leaves at 6 am, you have to be at the bus (I think its Coca Cola bus terminal) very early because there are many people waiting to go to Montezuma.

Even though it leaves at 6, you will be on the ferry that leaves at 9!! So it takes three hours even though the bus normally needs maybe 1,5 hours for the way. But: the bus stops somewhere near Orotina where you can have a breakfast or just a coffee.

When you leave the ferry you have to wait for your bus to get off the ferry and to get on the same bus. There are several and one of them goes to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa so you will have to make sure to be on the right bus. When I went, the buses stopped somewhere before Cobano and the driver asked everybody who wants to go to Malpais to go to the other bus and the people from the other bus that wanted to go to Montezuma, came to our bus.

It was fine and easy.

On the way back we were expecting to get on the direct bus in Montezuma. There were many people waiting, some who wanted to catch the direct bus to SJO and some who wanted to go just to Paquera. So I expected 2 buses. But only one came. Which was a small bus that everybody had to get on to go to Cobano. It was completely full, it was hot and dusty and the bus almost colapsed driving up the steep road :-D It was fun it was adventure but I dont recommend that to everybody. The driver then stopped and asked people to get off and to get on a bus that was driving behind us. So everybody went with 2 buses to Cobano and there we finally could get onto the direct bus to San Jose. This time the bus did not go with us on the ferry. So we had to get on another bus in Puntarenas which was almost full so my brother and me we didn't have the chance to sit next to each other. But no problem. The bus then, instead of taking the new "highway" via Caldera to San Jose, took the old road. In total the way was too long at the end and I was completely tired when I arrived at home.

Thats why I had better experiences taking the not-direct buses :-) The connection is easy and fast and the only thing is that yoy will have to take a cab to get to the ferry.

Both ways are fine though and both have advantages and disadvantages...

When you arrive in Puntarenas after 5, the later buses Puntarenas- San Jose don't go the new route via Caldera, so it takes longer.

Curridabat, Costa...
9. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

Thanks guys! One time, though, I took a bus from Puntarenas to San Jose and we only had to walk a few blocks inland from the ferry to get to the bus station. Does the San Jose to Puntarenas bus really stop that far away from the ferry?

And yes, it's true, the last ferry to Paquera doesn't have buses waiting for it, but I won't have to worry about that since I'll probably make the 11:00 ferry.

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Bus to Montezuma Always Waiting for Paquera Ferry?

It is not that long walk...but if you like to take a taxi I do not think is more than a couple dollars...or just go to PAseo de los Turistas...walk all the way...stop for a great nice CHURCHILL only 4 billion calories but maybe the most typical item around there!

roadadvisor