We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities - book in advance, or wait?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, New Jersey
reviews: 9
activities - book in advance, or wait?

i'm going to montezuma this xmas holiday/new years. i'm more keen on waiting til i get there to set up things like zip-lining, surf lessons, fishing, etc because i don't know what i'll feel like doing on what day. if there's anything i've read over and over about montezuma, it's about taking it easy..so the thought of a rigid schedule set up months in advance makes me uneasy. i'd rather take one day at a time.

at the same time, i don't want to find myself shut out of all activities because they are booked solid.

also, i've got this feeling that i can probably get a better price, in person, with cash, than anything i could find via the internet.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
1. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

Go with that feeling and wait! Montezuma is a laid back town with lots to offer and you`ll be able to shop around for the best deals once you get there. Bookings over the internet are almost always more costly in Costa Rica. You`ll have a blast at Xmas or New Year and might not even find time to head off fishing!

Do book your hotel in advance though, as this is high season and there may not be many good rooms available if you wait until you arrive to start looking.

Good luck with your trip planning!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
2. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

Agree with Sara, but keep in mind that since it is peak season, many tours will be full, so don't expect to walk in and hope to do an activity on the same day. It could happen of course, but you might need a couple days. So when you get there and decide what you want to do, go a day early to reserve a spot.

Hope you have a great vacation!

Linden, New Jersey
3. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

thank you both! i just needed confirmation that my gut instinct was right. i don't mind booking for a couple days in advance.

my stay is booked, as that is something i don't want to leave to chance! thanks again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

Just wait until you are here...book directly and do not use a midddle person...do not pay anything in advance!

roadadvisor

Dearborn, Michigan
5. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

Valerie,

Just wait. No sense in booking something that might turn out to be a rainy day.

Although, when you get there a few places will be doing special dinners for the two holidays, you might want to book those in advance so you're not stuck getting pizza.

I was there at Christmas-time in 2010, it's the second busiest time I've been there (Easter Holy week is busier, IMHO) the great thing about it is they are Costa Rican tourists (many many businesses close for the two weeks around Christmas). But all the tourist stuff is open, a few of the restaurants and touristy stores may (will) close. I don't think Cabo Blanco park closed (other than it's regular Monday and Tuesday closing).

If you're flying into San Jose, the ferry will be a little crazy for all the travelers. Easter is super-crazy, but I think it gets spread out a little more for the Christmas holiday (just be prepared if you're driving). I usually take a shuttle bus (or public bus) so the line isn't usually an issue in that circumstance.

Gary

Blog - http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/

Photos - http://MontezumaPacific.com/

Linden, New Jersey
6. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

thanks for the advice regarding dinner, gary. i would never turn my nose up at a pizza though, lol! we will be staying at a vacation rental with kitchen, so we can cook there at the very least.

the ferry does make me nervous, but i think i'm prepared. i will be departing from alajuela (hopefully) bright and early after breakfast and working out the rental car stuff. i plan on allowing the whole day for travel to montezuma. on the way back, i have also allowed an entire day for travel back to the alajuela area.

Dearborn, Michigan
7. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

Valerie,

To be clear, there probably won't be many Costa Rican tourists there on Christmas day or probably the day before; I'd guess they'll come the week before and be heading back home the few days before Christmas (although Christmas is a Tuesday, so who knows how that'll work out). So the ferry just depends on when you're heading in.

When boarding the ferry, they make all the passengers get out and walk on, so make sure they have everything they want for the (wonderful ferry ride) before you pull up. It's a beautiful boat ride and I always enjoy it.

And I just realized I've said some of this similar stuff to you in the "how crazy will it be?" post, so I'll stop rambling now....

Gary

Blog - http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/

Photos - http://MontezumaPacific.com/

8. Re: activities - book in advance, or wait?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 12, 2013