We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainsong 'Sanctuary'

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
Rainsong 'Sanctuary'

Good evening animal lovers )

I am an animal rights activist in the UK and use Facebook daily to network with other activists and post demos etc..

I have been friends with Mary for some time on there and it has only recently been brought to my attention the deplorable conditions she is keeping these poor creatures in.

I do have some pictures which were created and used in a group - the group is solely to raise awareness on this abysmal sanctuary. I shall post them here.

I would also like to mention that Mary's racism is not only limited to Costa Ricans, but also to the Chinese. This has been made apparent by many, many conversations and posts I have either been a part of or have read in other groups on Facebook.

Hope these pictures help.

Nadine

Animal lover UK

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 33
1. Re: Rainsong 'Sanctuary'

So sad to hear, you can post a link to a block or website if you would like, pictures do not post on the forum.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Rainsong 'Sanctuary'

I had the misfortune of going to rainsong in 2011. It was an unpleasant experience made all the more unpleasant by the owner Mary.

The majority of the handful of animals didnt need to be there and im sure couldve quite easily been released instead of being forced to spend their lives in miserable ram shackle cages that have nails sticking out of them and are basically just rotten wooden crates with mesh on. There is absolutely no environmental enrichment for any of the animals, they are on poor or incorrect diets and lots have ringworm- which is then passed onto the poor saps who have paid to give up their time to volunteer there. On one incident due to lack of knowledge and judgement some species of birds were caged together only for one of the birds to kill the rest.

I was greatly mislead i feel when i enquired about this 'sanctuary' and it is nothing like was described to me. The owner simply wants the money donated by the volunteers. When after a week me and my friend decided we had had enough of the terrible place we were given nothing but a mouthful of abuse by mary who told us we were too selfish to give up our time!!. Needless to say I didnt bother fighting to get my $200+ back for what was supposed to have been 4-6weeks worth of volunteering. It wouldve been a waste of time and i was informed by other volunteers that she would have already spent the money on herself

Volunteers are grossly mislead by mary. rainsong is not a sanctuary. acommodation offered is not suitable for even the animals that are prisoners there. I wouldnt even send my worst enemy to this place.

3. Re: Rainsong 'Sanctuary'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014