We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
reviews: 45
Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

We are going to be in the Mal Pais area June 25 - July 2. We love animals and are visiting an animal sanctuary while we're in the La Fortuna area. We'll be in MP after La Fortuna and would love to see more animals/learn more. I have heard of Rainsong and looked up reviews, but most of the are old. They all seem very mixed bag too. There are many that say not to go there...I'm just wondering what current opinions are of the place?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Nicole there are tons of comments about Rainsong if you just do a forum search including a long forum post "No Bueno" with multiple comments from this year (if you make it to page 8).

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
2. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

From all reports there has been no improvement here.

Fort Collins...
3. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Bummer! We'll probably skip it then.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
4. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Maybe you shouldn't skip this place. Being able to assess the situation with a prior knowledge how a wildlife sanctuary in Costa Rica looks like, your opinion will be a valuable one here. And then, animals has nothing to do with the owner so your visit to them can only bring them (animals) good things.

Fort Collins...
5. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Well...that is true...maybe it would be good to compare the two. I do know that the other I'm planning on visiting has very high marks on Tripadvisor. If we have time...we will go to both and I'll report back!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
6. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

That would be great Nicole, the more up to date info on Rainsong the better. We get a lot of mixed messages about the place here in the forum, but they tend to be a lot more on the negative side of things. Would be great to get some new intel.

Have a blast.

Fort Collins...
7. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Hi Incabod and Xelas - Well...we got back about a week ago. I did NOT make the trip to Rainsong. I was in the area and we thought about it, but when I called Mary from our hotel in Mal Pais I got such a horrible negative vibe from her that I didn't even want to go anywhere near her! The phone at the hotel is terrible and was kind of on speaker phone, so my husband heard the entire conversation. She was rude and not nice from the get go when we were just calling to inquire about having a tour/giving a donation. After my husband heard her talk he said there was no way in hell he was going to that place! I had to agree with him. We were having such a nice time in Mal Pais and all over the southern Nicoya peninsula we decided not to ruin our vacation, as that's what it seemed like it would do. I spoke with some locals after my phone call to her and they also didn't have anything nice to say about her or the place. If you're ever in CR and want to go to a really nice, well run wildlife sanctuary or would like to volunteer and/or learn Spanish while volunteering - go to Proyecto Asis. It's near La Fortuna and is a wonderful place! We toured the place and volunteered for the morning. And we donated money to the location, because they are what an animal sanctuary should be like. They were super happy to educate us on why the animals were there, which ones they were trying to release back into the wild, others who could not be (and they'd tell you why), etc. It was super clean and very well run. There were lots of volunteers there working on things the day we were there.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
8. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

Nicole, thanks a lot for reporting back. you did the right thing, avoiding any unnecessary disappointments or even confrontations. Luckily you had a great time at Proyecto Asis. Could you also report on Mal Pais area?

Fort Collins...
9. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

I absolutely will report on Mal Pais and La Fortuna both soon. I have several reviews that I'm going to write - places we stayed and visited. I will put some links to the reviews after I get them done! The short version is - It's AMAZING!!!! LOVE the southern Nicoya peninsula and would go back in a heartbeat!!!

10. Re: Anyone recently been to Rainsong Sanctuary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 11, 2013