We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

We'll be in Montezuma and would like to visit Tortuga Island. Is there a way we can get there without going on a tour? It might be nice for us to take a water taxi (?) and enjoy the beach there for an afternoon - maybe a walk - maybe rent some chairs and have lunch at a restaurant? Then return to Montezuma.

Possible?

thanks,

lwbc

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
11. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

And if you do take the tour, my advice is wait until morning and make sure that it's a nice weather day before booking.

It might be full, but it's better than going on a rainy day (they'll go unless the seas are to rough) and losing the money.

As long as you try to go early enough in the trip, you'll always have days to try again.

If you rent private, you'll have paid in advance and be stuck going on a rainy day that way too.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
12. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

And just so you know, I think the few times I've taken it, I paid $40 or $45 to go to Tortuga Island.

That's the long boat ride (one of the best parts), snorkeling (twice if you want), a great lunch (I believe they include a few beers) and of course the beach. I'm guessing the ride is 45 minutes (an hour?).

The snorkeling is fun, I'm not a great swimmer, I just lay on a life jacket, put my face (with snorkel and mask) in the water and kick with my fins on. The sea life is awesome, but I've never done it anywhere else before (or since).

If you get lucky you'll see some ocean life on the long boat ride. We saw lots of whales my first time (they had fins so we thought they were dolphins, but they assured me they were some kind of whales, either way, I was happy). We actually saw SO many, they had to stop stopping the boat or we'd never get there. I asked why they didn't advertise that point and they told me it was hit or miss on if you see anything. Talking to other people it seems like most people see something.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
13. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

I was googling to find out more about the national park on the island, but I don't see any info. I thought they mentioned a park when I was there that you could pay separate admission to get in. Anyone know the name?

I actually came back to mention I saw a site mentioning HIGH PRICES!

I found this page which mentions $100 trips to Tortuga but from SJ.

travelcostaricanow.com/index.php/Gulf_of_Nic…

I have never seen prices like that in the immediate area (maybe a resort?). But the same article mentions locally, you'd pay a fraction of the price.

When I paid $45, it was the same price everywhere in town (Montezuma). It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure I looked when I was there I was there in April and February 2011. I want to say it was even the same price-ish from Jaco (which is probably just a bit farther); a few years ago, I tried to do a trip from Jaco to Tortuga and then at the end of the day go to Montezuma but I couldn't get the timing down (it was the Eater holiday and they had some full days).

Lots of things are usually in that target $45 price range. Shuttle rides, zip lines, surf lessons, etc. I've seen that in other towns too (St. Teresa, Jaco). The 4-wheeled ATV things used to be that price too, but a few years ago it seems they jumped way up in price (in the Montezuma area), when I talk to tourists from St. Teresa they seem like they get a better deal, but maybe there is more competition there; Montezuma, it's mostly one place with a lot of them and other places with one or two (if you rent from other tour places, they literally walk you over to the guy with the big place so they get the commission).

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
14. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

And it's me again. Correcting myself.

Looking around I see at least 2 local places have raised the price of this trip to $55. I know I was checking it out Feb. of 2011 and maybe the April trip too, but I don't remember the price being up there.

That probably makes it the one of the most expensive activities around, the only thing I can think of more is the 4-wheel ATV things probably cost more for the day rental (but maybe less for 1/2 a day).

I guess the price of gas has gone up, but it's still cheap to feed the horses (still listed at $40).

Gary

Tambor, Costa Rica
15. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

The other possibilitie is going to Curu by car, where you can see many animails and take the boat from there its cheaper and could do 2 tours in one day, for example from 8am to 11:30 am you could spend the time in the park walk on the trails, there you could see,

armadillos, coatis, scarlet macaws, crocodiles, and than take the tour from Curu at 12:30 its cheaper than take it from Montezuma, due to its closer from Tortuga Island, One option to do this is take a bus or a Taxi, from Montezuma to Curu and then take the tour directly in Curu, the entrance fee ffor Curu is $10.00 per person, and the tour to Tourtuga Island from Curu it cost $35.00 per person $15.00 less if you take it from Montezuma. There is a good company called Tambor Aventura they can give you the round trip and the fee entrance for the park is free. you could contact them to egonzalezb79@hotmail.com or call them at 506 87-43-67-68.

There are others options to get there.

successes

virginia
reviews: 61
16. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

I just made a trip to Tortuguero from San Jose via bus & boat for $7 transportation cost. The hotel was about $35, and each tour is about $20. It costs $10 to get into the park. It was awesome & I can highly recommend it, even though there were no turtles at the time. Here's the link for more information. tortuguerovillage.com/english/gettinghere/ge…

Perhaps there's a way to get there without going to San Jose, but I'm not aware of that. The following organization could probably give you info on whether there are any turtles at the time you'd like to visit. http://www.conserveturtles.org/

Dearborn, Michigan
17. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

@amg14,

That's a completely different place, that Tortuguero is on the Atlantic side, correct?

This Tortuga Island is by Montezuma-ish (Nicoya Peninsula, Province of Puntarenas)

@AltaVistaCostaRica,

That's an interesting option. But I really like the boat ride from Montezuma. It's almost the best part :)

But if I could do Curu (which I've never done) and was bored in 4 hours, I could check out the island in the afternoon. I'll keep than in mind. Thanks!

virginia
reviews: 61
18. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Oh sorry, I had no idea.

19. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, June 21, 2013