We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

We'll be in Montezuma and would like to visit Tortuga Island. Is there a way we can get there without going on a tour? It might be nice for us to take a water taxi (?) and enjoy the beach there for an afternoon - maybe a walk - maybe rent some chairs and have lunch at a restaurant? Then return to Montezuma.

Possible?

thanks,

lwbc

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

No I don't think so. It's a tiny island and the only way to access it is to take a tour. The water taxi to Jaco does not stop at Tortuga. I suppose you could charter a boat to visit the island but that won't save any money and the island is set up so that each tour company has their own piece of the island set aside.

Vancouver, BC
2. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Thanks CR Fan, we weren't sure if it was an option or not.

I guess zumatours is the recommended one out of Montezuma area?

thanks,

lwbc

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Zuma Tours is the one you want. I did the tour once with them and had a good time, I think it is worth it.

Cheers

Vancouver, BC
4. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

thanks Incabod, Glad you enjoyed the tour! We will connect with Ivan (or someone else at the office).

lwbc

5. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, May 29, 2012
Vancouver, BC
6. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Roadadvisor that sounds pretty 'high end' for us! We are just a laid back family (2 teens) that doesn't relly like tours. Not sure we could afford a private charter...but it sure sounds great!

lwbc

kingston, ri
7. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

It's been a while since I went to Tortuga (2007), but at that time, we took a private tour there arranged by the caretaker of the house we stayed at. There were 5 of us and the cost was $40 a person, which included the boat ride, snorkeling and lunch on the beach prepared by the 2 guys from the boat (fish...delicious!). There were a few other parties there like ours. It was beautiful and relaxing! Hope you can find something similar. We stayed in Tambor, and the boat picked us up at 9am right on the beach in front of the house. Good luck!

Vancouver, BC
8. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

lyncota,

Thats a great idea - maybe I'll touch base with the owner of the house we've rented...or ask around when we arrive.

Thanks,

lwbc

kingston, ri
9. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

That's exactly what we did. When we read the description of the larger tours to the island, it did not appeal to us. Again, good luck and enjoy your trip to CR!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
10. Re: Tortuga Island - not on a tour?

Part of the tour is they feed you and take you snorkeling (nothing fancy). I know there is some kind of "federal" park on the island (which I'm curious about), but I'd never go there just to sit on the beach if I wasn't doing other "stuff". The beach is very very busy with all the tourists.

I don't think there is a restaurant (I could be wrong on this), it's not that big. And the few things you could buy were a fortune (even the restrooms). The island part they took us to had lots for all the private places that leased the area.

Unless you know of something else to do on the island (like the park) or a private beach, if you don't want to do the other stuff, I'd avoid it.

My 2 Colones...

Gary

Edited: 8:05 pm, May 28, 2012