We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montezuma day drip

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
montezuma day drip

Hi. I was considering a day trip from Jaco to Montezuma. Ive read about a few options: 1. water taxi from jaco, 2. ferry from puntanares, 3. and ferry with my car to montezuma. Can we see enough in one day by taking water taxi and just walking? Or does anyone suggest spending overnight? We are trying to cram manuel antonio jaco and montezuma in a short time. THanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: montezuma day drip

I think a daytrip to Montezuma using the water taxi is your only reasonable option and I would not recommend even that option for a daytrip. The water taxi leaves Playa Herradura at 9:30 arriving in Montezuma an hour later. It then turns around and heads right back to Jaco. If you pop for a private return water taxi you could schedule it as late as a 3:30 departure but at a high cost, unless you are a large group. See more at http://zumatours.net/taxi_boat_montezuma.html This could be a significant expense and what will you do if it's a rainy day?

Driving to Puntarenas, catching the ferry, then driving to Montezuma and returning the same day will leave you with just enough time for lunch on the beach and 2 hours to explore the waterfall - hardly worth all the travel time. You would be much better off IMO just exploring waterfalls in the Jaco area.

nyc
2. Re: montezuma day drip

That sounds much better, taking the taxi over and staying for the night. Heres a great question, where can I safely leave my rental car for the night? If the hotel doesn't allow me to keep it there, is there a safe place to park for overnigth?

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: montezuma day drip

Spend the night (you can't even always get an afternoon boat taxi back)!!!

Get the hotel to let you keep there there (tip the guard) or if it's a major rental, see if you can make arrangements to leave it at a local Jaco place (get the place you pick it up at make the call and get both guys names).

Gary

guanacaste
reviews: 31
4. Re: montezuma day drip

Water taxi

Dearborn, Michigan
5. Re: montezuma day drip

So if you're only going one day, be sure you have a plan. Check into your hotel (or drop off luggage) and head straight to the waterfalls! If you're leaving in the morning, you won't have time to go day 2.

FYI, The later in the day you wait the more the falls get in the shadow, so earlier is always better.

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: montezuma day drip

Stay overnight...just drive to Punatrenas take the ferrry...to Paquera...then Montezuma...next day back to Puntarenas...or just take the water taxi and again hopefully you stay overnigth!

roadadvsior

Dearborn, Michigan
7. Re: montezuma day drip

It's worth the drive to go to Montezuma, but for one day, it's too long of a long drive. I'm guessing from Jaco to Montezuma would be 5 hours and that's if you timed the ferry just right. (Unless there is a faster way to Puntarenas from Jaco than there used to be, it's been years since I drove from Jaco and wasn't heading to SJO.)

You don't need transportation once you get to Montezuma. The taxi boat drops you off at the beach in town (from the ocean, facing the beach, town is on the right).

Gary

Edited: 12:23 am, May 24, 2012
8. Re: montezuma day drip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 21, 2013