We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
reviews: 2
Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Does anyone have any suggestions on driving from Montezuma to Nosara?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 15
1. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Depends on the time of year.

If you are doing the drive between May and December, you will have to take the main route:

Cobano, Paquera, Nicoya, Samara, Nosara

If you are driving between December and April:

You can take the coast route which is a bit complicated but generally takes you through a number of rivers between Montezuma and San Francisco de Coyote, then to San Miguel, Bejuco, Punta Islita, Samara, Nosara.

If you go to this map site, you can find these routes:

http://www.yourtravelmap.com/

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

The problem with the coast route is the road deads end int a river at some point and the is no road on the other side. So do you go east or west down the road?!?

After 30 minutes of no other cars, we turned around got a hotel and went the paquera route and went up the inside coast to Nicoya and then back tot the Pacific.

This was in April of 2008, I think...

Edited: 2:51 am, May 02, 2012
3. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:33 am, May 02, 2012
Edited: 8:33 am, May 02, 2012
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

gary i know the river you're talking about. you enter and cross it at a diagonal and when you get to the other side, downriver of where you entered, the road switches back in the opposite direction and is quite well hidden. it had us wondering where to go as well. i have a video of it somewhere if that will help you.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
5. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

http://youtu.be/vzwmBipuckE i think this is the one

Costa Rica
6. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Before driving through a river, you should know that if you have a problem, it is likely that your rental car insurance would be void if you drive through a river. Check your contract carefully to be sure.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
7. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Sunny...that is an excellent video showing how that river is crossed!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
8. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

we were confused at first because wanda the gps was telling us to turn right and there was no place to turn right!

'zuma to samara is one of my favourite drives as it takes you through the mountains into rural farmland then along the coast.

as hattie mentions, you are responsible for any damage to the vehicle resulting from crossing rivers. if there are no locals to follow through the river i always get out and walk into the river to find the shallowest path.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 2
9. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Thank you for the replies. We are actually leaving tomorrow 5/3/12 from Montezuma to Nosara. Since we do not have a 4wd nor GPS and its a rental we've decided to take the inland route through Paquera, Nicoya, Samara.

Thanks

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
10. Re: Driving from Montezuma to Nosara

Considering the time of year, I think that is a wise choice. We had quite the downpour here in Nosara today and I expect the river rose a little. Better safe than sorry!