We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

Hey there!

I am extending a business trip for an extra week at the end of May to soak up some vacation time in Costa Rica. This will be my first visit to CR and am traveling from Canada. Montezuma has been recommended by a local coworker but I'm curious if others agree that this is a safe place for me to visit alone?

If so, I'm looking for recommendations for a relatively budgeted week. I am definitely a beach person and would love to try a yoga practice or two at one or more of the local studios. Any other must-see/do recommendations would also be welcomed! ie. local sights, restaurants, snorkeling, etc.

Any accommodation suggestions? Thinking of renting a bungalow. Would love to be able to afford Ylang Ylang or Anamaya but they are way out of my price range unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Dayna.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

Dayna,

Montezuma would be a great choice, I've met lots of women traveling alone there and never heard any complaints. I think it's a particularly extra safe area, don't leave valuables out alone when you are swimming and you'll be fine. I've heard very few theft stories there (I've been there 10+ times), but never heard any violence issues.

You said you're a beach person, but don't skip the waterfalls, I go every day when I'm there. Some people save it for later in the trip and then get sad there isn't more time to go back to the falls.

Also, be sure to do the 2 hour hike up the beach to the other smaller falls.

The snorkeling Tortuga Island tour is nice. Not an absolute must see but nice. Wait until the morning to get your ticket so that you know it'll be a nice day, on the off chance it's sold out, you can always go another day. It's the only place I've ever snorkeled (lots of fish, the coral is okay) but the boat ride is always great.

I'm going to recommend my favorite hotel there, the Montezuma Pacific (Montezuma Pacifico) hotel, I just updated my review so you won't find mine until they approve it. It's inexpensive and the staff is awesome and protective (they will probably tell you safety tips and something like you aren't allowed to bring men back to your room). I've been there 7 times for about 50 days total. A/C, wifi, refrigerator, large digital safe (in the room) hot water, shared balconies and some rooms have TVs. (It's not on the beach though, I'm not sure what you are going to find that's a bungalow on the beach that isn't a lot. Ylang Ylang is lovely, but I can stay at Montezuma Pacific for a week for the price of a night or two there.) Town is very small and it's nice to be in the center of it (but off the busy strip).

There is a place that's bungalow-ish, but no A/C and they aren't any much closer to the water (and I think they're more expensive). The name escapes me.

Here is my recommended item for people traveling to the beach (or waterfalls) alone. It's a wired mesh security backpack that you can lock to a tree, seriously. It's great for locking up your cameras and/or phone while you go swimming.

TechTourist.com/the-security-backpack-daysaf…

You'll love Montezuma. I'm not sure how you are getting there. You don't really need a car. Montezuma Expeditions can book you a shuttle ($40-45) from hotel to hotel from San Jose (or probably wherever you are) but you usually need to manage your luggage for the ferry ride. If you happen to be coming from San Jose proper, you can catch the directo at 6 am and 2 pm from La Coca-Cola bus station for $12 (or $14), that bus has A/C and they lock up the luggage for the ferry ride (you get a number ticket and you can't get our bag without it, makes me feel secure).

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

My obligatory Montezuma links:

I blogged about lots of my trips at my blog http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/ you can search there for "Costa Rica" too.

I even created a photo site, just for that (south end of the Nicoya peninsula) area of Costa Rica http://MontezumaPacific.com/

A few dozen of my videos at YouTube of Montezuma www.youtube.com/user/garylapointe/videos…

And some cool 720(?) degree 3D-ish PhotoSynths at photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx…

but I don't know how to restrict to just Montezuma (but I'd guess half are from Costa Rica) mostly on pages 2, 3 and 4.

And a few other things:

Cabo Blanco National Preseve is there most preservers national park. They are closed Monday and Tuesday, there is a bus from town at 8am or 8:20-ish (if you don't have a car). It's beautiful there but VERY hilly. No climbing with your hands but it's VERY steep up and down (they've put in cement blocks). You only have two choices there a 75-90 minutes loop or and 2 hour walk to the beach (and 2 hours back). Very steep walking up and down, not as bad on the short loop (the 2 hours out and back is rough). Lots of animals if you stop and be quiet every so often.

Once I'm in Montezuma, usually the only thing I want a car for is to go over to watch the sunset on the other side. Otherwise, I don't really use it.

PS - Don't assume any hotels have air conditioning, TV or hot water (usually, just the shower).

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
3. Re: Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

i love montezuma, probably my favourite place in cr. montezuma is one of the most affordable areas in costa rica because you don't need a car everything is in walking distance (if you decide to stay at the bottom of the hill), the waterfalls are free, hotels are relatively cheap, it's on the beach (no taxis needed) and the jungle north of the village is free and every bit as good as nearby cabo blanco reserve. i've stayed at www.hotellosmangos.com in the hotel and in a bungalow, if you choose hotel, be sure to stay on the top floor. more recently stayed at www.amordemar.com and was very pleased with that as well.

one of my favourite things to do is rent an atv and explore over the mountains to mal pais and sta teresa and on to tambor. have fun!

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

Thank you both for the great information! I have definitely taken your feedback into consideration as I piece my (rather budgeted) plans together. Really starting to get excited now! Thanks again...

5. Re: Montezuma - good choice for 30-something, single female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 22, 2013