We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
reviews: 13
Getting to Montezuma

Well I am bummed. We just bought our tickets to Costa Rica and were planning on spending 2 nights in Montezuma but the afternoon flight we'd need to Tambor JUST got all booked up. :( I am wondering what other option would be best:

A) Bus > Ferry > Taxi (Is the bus okay??)

B) Private, or semi-private shuttle (that will use the ferry - anyone know how much would this run?)

C) Go to Jaco, spend a night there instead of Mont. and take water taxi over in the morning (which would only allow us to be in Montezuma for about 24 hours as we'd leave the next morning.)

I think a shuttle would be great because I don't want to worry with renting a car, but it sounds expensive. Anyone know any companies or have any feedback on the options?

Washington DC...
reviews: 234
11. Re: Getting to Montezuma

We're back... unfortunately. :(

It stopped in Cobano first, which I was expecting... but still confusing since all the gringos got off, but there wasn't another bus there waiting. We all looked to each other for direction, but nobody knew! Ha! The Montezuma bus showed up less than 5 minutes later, so all is well that ends well.

The buses were great, but always an adventure! Our bus from Cobano to Santa Teresa got in a minor accident that closed down the road for several hours. Another bus was eventually sent to pick us up. Fun times.

Then another time we took the 2:15ish bus from Montezuma to Cobano, but the Cobano-Santa Teresa bus didn't wait for our bus to arrive before leaving! Ha! But you can't really complain for how cheap the buses are!

We flew back to SJO from Tambor because of time constraints with our flight out of SJO. It was actually one of the highlights of the trip for me, since I got to sit in the middle seat right behind the pilots and watch them fly the plane. A boyhood dream come true! :)

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
12. Re: Getting to Montezuma

manilapacman:

Glad you got around the area on the sketchy bus schedule and had some adventures too!

Good thing you flew back to SJO because you would have really been confused when you arrived in San Jose and found you were not at the Coca Cola station where you originally got onto the direct bus for your trip down to the Nicoya Peninsula.

The Direct Bus now leaves and arrives to the Atlantic Bus Terminal (also called the San Carlos Terminal) in San Jose on Calle 12 and Avenida 7 y 9, 400 M. al norte de la inglesia la Merced.

The departure times are still 6AM and 2PM from San Jose.

Washington DC...
reviews: 234
13. Re: Getting to Montezuma

Wefish88: Good to know! I hope all the travel websites and books update this information!

Speaking of books, I had a fellow tourist in Montezuma imply that I was an idiot for not traveling to Costa Rica with a Lonely Planet or Frommer's book. I ignored him and thought, "Anywhere you travel in the world, things change all the time. Why would I rely on that when I can just consult the internet or ask locals?" (end rant.)

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
14. Re: Getting to Montezuma

Manilapacman:

Many travel guides are a year behind...it takes time to gather information, update it and print it.

They are good for 'general' info. about destinations, I like Lonely Planet for their maps and commentary on the 'finer points' of destinations, the prices are usually old and some places close or move, but you do get the general gist of the local... so, they do come in handy.... even I travel with one when I am doing a in-country vacation! You can't rely on the locals all the time!

It takes a while for information to be updated...but I'm sure it will be in time....to change again! That's life!

We do try to keep things up to date here on TA, but even we do lag .. we volunteer our time, so we get to things like this when we can!

15. Re: Getting to Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:40 am, June 19, 2013