We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 16
Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Hi All!

I will be traveling with my family (4 people) in December 2012 from the Arenal area to Montezuma. We opted out of renting a car during our stay in Costa Rica so we will rely entirely on private transfers.

We decided we would rather not drive all the way from Arenal to Montezuma so as I understand it, that leaves us two options. Taking the ferry from Puntarenas or the Zuma tours Taxi Boat service from Jaco.

Would anyone recommend the Zuma tours taxi boat over the ferry? It's the more expensive option so I wanted to get some feed back about this service.

Also if anyone has any additional thoughts/suggestions about this journey please let me know. Thanks!

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Either works, the big difference is that the Zuma boat takes you right to Montezuma beach in an hour. If you take the ferry, it is cheaper but slower and you have a 1.5 hour bus ride on the other side.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Thanks yellabricker,

I went back and checked out some older posts and I realized that you're based near Montezuma. In general do you find the Zuma taxi boat to be reliable?

Based on how our plans are working out we will be traveling from Arenal to Montezuma on December 31st. If we went with Zuma tours we would probably miss the a.m. scheduled taxi boat and have to go with the VIP taxi boat.

In case something unforeseen happens, I just don't want to get stranded in Jaco, with no way to get to Montezuma, because it's new years eve. Am I needlessly concerned about this?

Sorry for the long response, thanks for any help!

Montezuma, Costa...
3. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Hiya,

Yes, I'm based just outside of Montezuma and we work from there.

Zuma is very reliable and the only tour operater here I would recommend.

The boat reliably runs every day and on busy days I think they run a second boat. For logistics on this, it's best to contact Zuma directly

Asheville, North...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

We opted for the boat from Montezuma to Jaco for our return transportation from Santa Teresa. We booked through Zuma tours; for about $90 a piece a private cab picked us both up at our place in Santa Teresa, took us to the door of Zuma tours in Montezuma, the lady was very nice and helpful, we left shortly after, smooth boat ride, but bring sunscreen, and we were in Jaco in just under an hour. Another private cab picked us up on the beach, and again we were greeted by a man we had been in contact with and he introduced us to our driver who would take us to the San Jose airport. This driver was also very nice and stopped and let us see some monster crocodiles, very tourist, but we had time to spare. All was well, it beat the heck out of the small plane we took there, and we got to see some of the country. The people of Costa Rica were top notch and I would go back.

Montezuma, Costa...
5. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

William, Glad you had a great trip, and there is nothing wrong with 'tourist'

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

Thanks for the help!! I will definitely be in contact with zuma tours, I'm sure we can handle some touristy crocodiles!

7. Re: Transportation to Montezuma Ferry vs. Zuma Tours--Taxi Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, June 17, 2013