We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Rental Car??

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Do I need a Rental Car??

I've got three nights at Ylang Ylang in a few weeks and I was wondering if I need to keep my rental car while I'm there. We will want to do some activities (waterfall/canopy, Tortuga Island), but it seems like we will want to be on tours for those where we will be picked up. We will be flying out of Tambor back to San Jose with a shuttle from the Hotel, so is there any reason to keep the car for these three nights?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

No need for a car in montezuma. You can walk from one end of town to the other in ten minutes. The tortuga tour leaves from the beach in town, the montezuma waterfall is a short walk once the ylang ylang truck drops you off in town and the zipline tour includes transport. Montezuma is one of my favourite places in cr I'm sure you'll love it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 21
2. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

Agree no need for a car as the waterfall and Tortuga Island departure point are an easy walk. You might decide to rent a quad for the day and go exploring on the road to Cabuya and Cabo Blanco Reserve. We even took the quad on the back roads over to MalPais for a day. Yland Ylang can set this up with a day's notice or you can rent in town.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

Nice to have one...but really you do not need the car sitting at your hotel...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

As others have said-- no need for a rental car in Montezuma. You can easily catch a local bus to Cabo Blanco if needed. Catching a public bus to Mal Pais is another matter . . . you probably won't get there until 11:30 or so, and will likely want to pay for a cab (about $25-30) for the return.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

I would say no. You can't park it a Ylang anyway and everywhere is within easy walking distance. I think you'de be cheaper & better off to just hire a cab or take the bus should you want to go further afield. Hiring a quad for day or 1/2 day is another option.

Belleville, Canada
reviews: 2
6. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

We are a family of five adults planning a trip to Montezuma over Christmas. Wondering if we would be better off to rent a car than take the taxiboat because we probably wouldn't all fit in one taxi for the land portion of this journey. Also considering renting the vehicle for the week because we plan to hike the Curu trails and would need a taxi for this as well. Does anyone know if we would need a vehicle to get to the Barra Honda caves or the butterfly garden? Also what is the entrance fee to the butterfly garden? We want to book a fishing/snorkeling trip with Jeffry at Solo Bueno Tours, a horse riding tour with El Pinto and a surfing lesson with Chris. Is it recommended to book tours ahead of time to save time once we're there? Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
7. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

Lynne,

Here's the problem with a car at Christmas (or Easter). The ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera will be PACKED and jammed with local families heading to the coast.

It really depends on when you are traveling, I don't know the exactness for what days people will travel at Christmas. (Easter is always on Sunday so it's easier to make a guess for that.)

If you're on a shuttle, bus or taxi: you'll get off at the ferry and walk on and then catch a different bus, shuttle or taxi on the other said.

On Easter Eve 2011 coming back to SJO the road was backed up so far with cars, I bet they waited THREE ferries to get on (at least two). And we met people at the airport the next night that missed their flight that morning due to this problem (and they were waiting on standby). But the shuttle just drove us past all the traffic and dropped us off at the dock and we got on a different shuttle bus at the other end. No problem.

I had noticed it was super busy on the way over to Montezuma too. But you don't have to squeeze by the traffic in the same way, so I didn't notice as much.

Although since then, they've replaced their smaller ferry with another big one. But it's still not enough for the holiday rush (IMHO).

I'm sure Montezuma Expeditions (they do shuttle busses) would be able to accommodate you on a van to get you to a taxi boat or take the ferry with others or arrange a private one for you.

Other than my initial transportation and initial hotel, I usually don't make reservations, but with the holiday I would. Don't be surprised when they want you to fax a copy of your charge card or fax a form you filled out with your charge card info written on it (it's still kind of normal for them down there).

Gary

8. Re: Do I need a Rental Car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, June 12, 2013