We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York...
Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Hi, we are planning a small wedding in November and considering Ylang Ylang resort. Has anyone been married there or attended a wedding?

I'm looking for advice on the best way to travel between the airport and Montezuma. Most of our group will be late 20s and early 30s but we do have parents and a few people in their 50s that might find a journey of over 5+ hours or on a small plane a bit too overwhelming and exhausting.

We were thinking hiring a van so the whole group or at least half of it can travel together to make the trip more interested and not feel like you are traveling long distance. Would appreciate your input and suggestions if there is another easier way to make this happen.

Any tips, suggestions, pictures and recommendations on photographer, make-up/hair stylist would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Congratulations. I think the least stressful way is to fly into Tambor and hire a driver to take you into Montezuma. That's quite a drive so there's no real way to make it not feel like a long distance trip. You could have the group overnite near the airport for a nite or 2 (there's plenty to see in the Central Valley on daytrips) and then fly out in the morning to Tambor. The only issue is the weight limit on the planes so it might be worthwhile also hiring a driver to take excess luggage and some of the party by road/ferry to Montezuma.

There is a 3rd option which is the water taxi from just north of Jaco directly to the beach in Montezuma. This would be faster than the road/ferry but I don't recommend it as it's a relatively small boat and the ride could possibly be rough depending on the weather, especially since November is still the tail end of rainy season and they could get wet.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Dear Kevanna...

CONGRATULATIONS...!!

Nice also is to hire the bus...from SJO to Ferry about 1.5 hours ride...the ferry ride is a nice ride like a tour...you guys will see a lot...fully A-C saloon to have a nice cold drink...or somenthing to eat...or just relax and watch the island of Nicoya Gulf...

The ferry ride is about 1.5 hours...and then about 1 more hour to Montezuma...

The plane from SJO to Tambor about 35 minutes....then about 45 minutes more to Montezuma...

Roadadvisor

Arkansas
3. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

I am currently vacationing at Ylang Ylang, it's a beautiful place with wonderful service. Everyone here us very friendly, it's also nice to be able to eat at the hotel so that you don't have to travel into town each night. I have not personally experienced a wedding here but did see one this week, they did a beautiful job with the decor and the service.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Ylang is great with weddings, A private shuttle is a good idea, as are flights with a shuttle at Tambor from the airport

Brooklyn, New York...
5. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

thank you everyone for the response.

A flight is not an option as I mentioned, since older travelers are not comfortable getting on a small flight or a water taxi unfortunately.

I'm considering finding a location maybe between the airport and Montezuma to spend the night. What town would you recommend that might be interesting visiting for 1 day and still not be too far from the airport but on the way to Montezuma?

I couldn't find any other place to do the wedding in Montezuma besides Ylang Ylang, although I love the place, their way of doing weddings is a bit off putting. They charge transportation fees for everything. Does anyone know of a florist closer to Montezuma? They are telling me they have to fly in the flowers from San Jose.

Thanks again!

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 4
6. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Doesn't make sense to overnight on the way btw SJ & MOntezuma. Overnight in the SJ area and then head out fairly early to MOntezuma the next day. It Doesn't seem like a 5 hour journey with the ferry ride. We did it last month and really enjoyed it. We hired a private driver (there were 6 of us) and it was a great time.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
7. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

The really nice thing about ground transportation to Montezuma is the Ferry ride. The Ferry ride makes for a really nice break in the middle of a long drive.

I LOVE the ferry ride, I've mentioned it MANY times in my blog when I travel http://GarySaid.com/?s=ferry

The ride is about 70 minutes, but you have to get on and wait for it to leave. It's still a long day but it's better than 5.5 hours straight in a vehicle.

If you sort of timed it so you end up missing a ferry and you grabbed lunch near the ferry, you could have a relaxing lunch and then an enjoyable ferry ride since people aren't hungry and can just enjoy the beautiful view. Time one end (or both) of the trip so that it's sunset while you're on the ferry.

It's a long day if you flew in the same morning. Usually, I arrive late (cheaper flights) and head out in the morning.

Congratulations,

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
8. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Oops, I forgot about the other questions:

I don't know if I've ever seen a flower shop outside of San Jose (central valley area). I remember when I saw my first one there, so I think I'd remember if I saw lots more. I can't picture one in Puntarenas (that's the biggest town nearby, it's where you catch the ferry) but it's a big town so there might be one.

Have you been to Ylang Ylang? It's very nice, very pricey. The downside is it's a 15 minute walk from town, other than checking in or out, I'm not sure if they provide transportation. I'm sure for the right price they would, but it'd be very inconvenient. I'm also sure they put on a nice wedding.

www.anamayaresort.com/costarica-weddings.html

This is a yoga / earthy place WAY up the hill and I remembered they do weddings, but I know NOTHING about it other than this link. I'm sure they have incredible views (did I say they're way up the hill!). But I'm not sure they'd be any cheaper.

I just googled these folks (and weddings) http://www.amordemar.com/ and I'm surprised I see nothing on weddings. This is on the ocean (but not the beach) and the only place around with always super green grass. They might be able to put you in touch with someone who does weddings, I can't believe they haven't had any there. They're more on the edge of town (but with roads) putting them in walking distance of a bunch of more affordable hotels (if that's an issue for some of the guests).

Gary

Edited: 8:39 pm, May 04, 2012
Whitby, Canada
reviews: 3
9. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

Hello: We require private ground transportation from Montezuma to San Jose, and I'm interested in finding out the name of the company you used?

Thanks

Dearborn, Michigan
10. Re: Planning a wedding in Montezuma, need advice

I use Montezuma Expeditions http://montezumaexpeditions.com

They are a "private" shuttle in that it's you and another 8-10 people. About $45-ish a person. The downside of this is that you usually have to carry your own luggage on and off the ferry.

If you have enough people they will book it for your whole group but I don't know how that will really work.

But if you're in Montezuma, an easy way to San Jose is the Directo bus which leaves twice a day and other than switching in Cobano (and from there out is air conditioned) doesn't really have stops other than the airport (but you must ask to stop there) and downtown San Jose. About $14 a person. With this the luggage is locked on the bus (you get a ticket) so you don't need to carry it on.

Gary