We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
Traveling to Montezuma

Any traveling from San Jose to Montezuma on the 29th? How are you getting there?

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

I would recommend the direct bus. It costs about $12, and you don't have to deal with your luggage on the ferry (it is locked in the hold, and the bus actually goes on the ferry - unlike shuttles).

It leaves Coca Cola at 6am & 2 pm (no 2pm on Sundays).

Let me know if you need more details, I've done the journey about 50 times

Arkansas
2. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

How long is the trip? Do you need to book ahead? My husband gets motion sickness is the buss a good option for him?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

Dear Denam...

The total road time and ferry time will be aprx...4 hours...that is not considering any waiting time anywhere...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
4. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

I thought I replied already, but I have been having internet/power issues. Any travel method is going to bring on his motion sickness - take Gravol if he doesne27t mind being sleepy, otherwise ask at the pharmacy for a non-drowsy nausea pil.

Count on 20 - 30 min wating time in Puntarenas and 1p-15 min in Paquera.

You don't need to book ahead - you buy your ticket when boarding the bus . I would recommend one of you check the bags in the hold, while the other queues to board & buy tickets

Keep your eyes on your stuff every second while in the station - once it is checked it is pretty much safe

Grafton...
reviews: 27
5. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

I can second the direct bus option! Thanks yellabrickcr for the advice! I did it yesterday from the Coca Cola bus station. I was a little hesitant about the Coca Cola bus station, but there was many policia patrolling it, and they helped me out to find the correct bus. I speak very little spanish

It cost just under $14, so either the price went up a little or we paid a Tourist Tax. It was long, but I met a some cool people so talking to them helped pass the time!

Montezuma, Costa...
6. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

Hi All,

The price of the direct bus did go up because the price of the ferry increased.

As Timmay said, there is a fairly good police presence in the station which prevents any violent crime, but still keep your eyes on your bags every minute until it is checked on the bus, Once checked - keep your luggage tickets, they check them in detail (which is a good thing). Also hang on to your bus ticket -you need it to reboard the bus after the ferry

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
7. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

So to clarify, the bus leaves the coca cola station at 6am and 2pm?

Montezuma, Costa...
8. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

That's right - 6:00 am & 2:00pm from Coca Cola (the 2:00 pm does not run on Sundays though).

Get there at least a 1/2 hour early, and get in the queue at the bus's slot to be sure of a seat

Grafton...
reviews: 27
9. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

I just took it back from Montezuma. We got the 6:30 from Montezuma into Cobona where it connects, and goes directly to San Jose. There was alot of confusion at the connection in Cobono.

It is a little confusing, but there were many Americans and European travels who did not speak spanish, and we all made it on the correct bus. We were just all looking- asking each other what was going on, nobody really knew.

The most important thing is to keep repeating San Jose, San Jose, San Jose and eventually you will get on the correct bus. At first it is alittle intimidating, and confusing- but it was def an adventure, and is a great deal for such a long bus ride!

Montezuma, Costa...
10. Re: Traveling to Montezuma

On the way back to San Jose, you must get off the Montezuma bus in COBANO and wait in the queue for the direct bus . It is the same stop, just get in the queue & wait for the bus.

Yes, pointing at the bus and asking ?San Jose? works well, the drivers deal patiently with confused tourists everyday.

A lot of locals do speak a bit of English, so they would be better to ask instructions from than other lost tourists

Edited: 12:36 am, March 03, 2012