We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
201 posts

What type of money do you recommend for Montezuma? US dollars, travelers check or their currency? We leave next week and we aren't sure of the best way to pay for everything while we are there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Money

Forget travelers checks as they are next to impossible to cash. What you really want to bring is a debit card linked to your bank account and then you can pull cash out from an ATM in dollars or colones. However there is only 1 ATM in Montezuma so bring cash with you in case the ATM runs out of cash while you're there, as happened to us.

Credit cards are good for lodging, most excursions and some restaurants. You can often negotiate better prices if you pash cash instead of credit. Be sure and notify your bank and credit card companies that you will be out of the country so they don't freeze your account for suspicious activity.

You can use the ATM at the international airport but do NOT use the currency exchange in the airport as it is an extremely poor exchange rate.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,657 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Money

Good advice from crfan, as usual.

I would have some dollars on hand as well as some colones - the local currency is the colon. If the price is in dollars, pay in dollars. If the price is in colones, pay in colones.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,976 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Money

Great advice by crfan and Hattie...in my case I will like to suggest maybe try to have Colones...

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Money

We just returned from the area and found Montezuma the most dollar friendly. Most items are priced in dollars but you can use either. In Mal Pais and Santa Teresa colons were preferred. Generally I found paying in colons was most cost effective.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Money

ai ai ai - I just typed all this message & then lost it.

Agree Travellers Cheques are useless.

USD are accepted everywhere an your change will usually be in Colones or USD or a mix. Everyone is used to accepting a mix too.

The ATM is Montezuma does definitely run out of money. It is filled on Tuesdays or Thursdays, but plan ahead for your cash, especially at the weekend.

Cobano also has a bank, but it is a huge pain in the neck!

6. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, April 30, 2013