We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May - What to pack?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lehigh Acres...
reviews: 1
Weather in May - What to pack?

Hi, we are arriving the first part of May, this will be our first time to Montezuma our other trips we have stayed on the Caribbean coast (warm) and in the mountains (cold)... As I've read different posts I've seen different things about the temperatures so I'm not sure. What is the weather like in May? Could I just pack sundresses and shorts for the day? Do I need something warmer for the evenings? Does it get "cold" or just "cool" at night?

We are trying to pack as lightly as possible. I'm personally hoping to be in a swimsuit for 90% of the time. : )

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

LOL - Yes pack light, It doesn't even get 'cool' that much at night. Sundresses, shorts & bathing suit sound fine. Perhaps bring or be prepared to buy a cheapie rain poncho in case it rains.

Sturdy sandals are a good idea too, if you plan on any hikes, even just to the waterfalls, there are very rocky parts. Flip flops for the beach, but you can always buy those here.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

I was about to post this question asking about the weather in February. I'm assuming it doesn't get 'cool' at night in February, either (love that).

Wondering if I should pack a rain jacket?

Montezuma, Costa...
3. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

If you can, bring a very lightweight, cheap thin plastic rain poncho, great, if not, take your chances, and and buy one when you need one. February is summer (dry season) here, remember, and it usually does not rain, Cold is certainly nor a problem unless you are in the Central Valley or San Jose

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
4. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

Great advice by El Pinto - took the words right out of my mouth. I go around with those ponchos you can basically fold up and fit in a pocket. Cost a couple of dollars in the states. Not much more than a glorified garbage bag with arm holes, but it does the trick and packing light is always the way to go IMO.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

Also a nice kind of golf jacket or any light windbreaker will do it...of course the poncho is a good option!

roadadvisor

Minneapolis...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

I suppose I will need some type of jacket just for dashing from the car to the shuttle and into the airport in Minneapolis, and again in reverse when I return home, so I might as well use a rain jacket. Hopefully, I can stuff it away and forget about it once I'm in Costa Rica!

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

You can probably also leave it at your hotel in San Jose in a bag with your name on it while you are here and collect it on your way home.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
8. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

At the most (for about any time of year there) for the cold would be some lightweight jacket. I never get cold, but on a windy evening on the beach it gets a little chilly sometimes. But that's the only time I might put something on.

But the rain poncho is a must, I don't think I've every been stranded in a storm where I needed it, but I've always got one in my backpack.

Gary

9. Re: Weather in May - What to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, May 06, 2013