We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivan's House Scam?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 13
Ivan's House Scam?

Hi -

In late March 2011 I booked Ivan's House in Montezuma through Humberto at reservations@ivanshouse.com. Just today I emailed to advise of our arrival time to be told that although we were sent reservation confirmations and paid for this place in April 2011, our reservations were cancelled (this from Humberto). Upon following up with Ivan, we are told that Humberto is fraudelently selling reservations for his house, and he is unable to honour them. Has anyone else had this experience? Beware! I will be contacting the folks here at tripadvisor to be alerted to this.

R

57 replies to this topic
nj
reviews: 3
41. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

It is so scary to think things like this happen.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
42. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

It is Valerie...to bad that some people are looking for nice decent advice they get into the scammers hands...you will be surprised how many crooks are around!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
43. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

This Humberto guy is indeed a known conartist that many local businesses have suffered from. I suggest making your reservations directly from bussiness owners and or their own web sites or known verifiable agencies. Other than Humberto we know of no other scam artists in our comunity.

Thank you for publicly denouncing him. It might help getting rid of him. He is a harmful embarrasment to the us.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
44. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

That is a great advice by thomasnomad...thank you...but Humberto is not along...we have some big scammers ...good advice about dealing with verifable agencies...great advice...thank you Thomas nomad...muchas gracias!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
45. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Simon,

That is the correct site. Zuma Tours which apears there actually belongs to Ivan the ouner of the house. And is the most reputable agency in town.

San Jose, Costa Rica
46. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

the correct one is www.costaricashutle.com Humberto the con owns www.THEcostaricashuttle.com You will get a voucher and be honored BUT the legitimate owner of the shuttle service who has no formal agreement with UMBERTO THE CONMAN is also a victim. If you can still cancel your cc charge and book directly you are doing the legitimate owner and our comunity a favor.

Edited: 10:41 am, June 05, 2012
Portland
reviews: 4
47. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

I am in Montezuma now and have done a couple of tours and purchased services through Zuma Tours. They were extremely professional and considerate, particularly Juan Carlos. They really seem to care that everything goes well and that you enjoy yourself. I definitely recommend them.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 11
48. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

I'd like to bump this thread and recommend that folks visit the Montezuma Chamber of Tourism website at http://montezumainfo.net/ to get reliable information in both Spanish and English. Another good source of information is Zoom Magazine at http://nicoyazoom.com/ which has a great phone book section.

Edited: 12:03 am, April 05, 2013
Montezuma, Costa...
49. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

To whom it may concern:

Histories always have 2 sides (or more) and and you been only hearing only one of the parts until now.

I run 100% legal online business. Since all our payment transactions are via credit card (in it’s total and we do not accept cash), they are all controlled by the Costa Rica Government Tax office. My companies pays yearly all taxes based on sales over $600.000 per year and growing.

For business/services/hotels/vacation rentals/etc listed on any of my sites we have WRITTEN authorization via email to have that information listed since the beginning the owners of the properties, receptionist or managers are the ones sending us emails to includes their business on our websites.

On all our web side there is a section: TERMS and CONDITIONS where we ask anyone who is interested in listing or taking off information from our sites to kindly send us an email to let us know what information want to have deleted. As we also have properties, tours operators, hotels, vacation rentals, car companies contacting us in a daily basis to get their information listed on our sites.

Any Clients who for any reason didn’t get the service reserved, the only thing they have to do is call their credit company and cancel the transaction. Nowadays they will get the money back right way and the money will be debit from our accounts automatic.

AGAIN, in all my sites you will find the section TERMS and CONDITIONS used of Site, you will read all the information there you will see we clearly explain how our business model work. That we subcontract all the services, shuttles, taxis, hotels, houses, etc. That we charge a commission and fees for our services. That we are not the operator directly. This is clearly stated on all my sites.

On regards of the problems I been having with Gianmaria Rutter also know as Ivan in the area. He been doing a campaign against myself, my company and other small operators in the area. There is a reason why, he has learn from me how to make a profitable website and now that he owns several websites as well, he want any kind of competition out of his way.

He went to the Prosecution Office to denounce me for my practices, he told a series of lies to the Deputy Prosecutor. AFTER reviewing all the evidence, is the very same Deputy Prosecutor who request to the Court my innocence and acquittal about the false accusations he had made.

Due his absolute failure with the court he been telling all the people I know and he knows an uncountable number of lies about myself and my websites, as this is his last resource, made defamatory accusations about me. Untraceable comments and lies, just out of his mouth, so what he says cannot be checked or verify by the court. (very smart)

(A clear example of a doubtful operation is the several Taxi cars and Minibuses you will see around Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Tambor etc, with orange signs that said ZUMA TOURS, Zumatours S.A. DO NOT own any Taxi or any Minibuses as per today Public Records. It isn’t a way to deceive everybody right in front of our own eyes?)

For those unbelievers the following are the links of the Court case for you to see it with your own eyes. These are public documents and anyone can ask for Court directly for a copy of them.

flickr.com/photos/…photostream

Hundreds or websites/people do exactly the same I do. This is not secret, resale services and charge a commission for it.

Always when visiting any website look for the DISCLAIMER, Terms and Conditions. Read it all!There you will find our obligations and compromises while you stayed on that particular website.

Sincerely,

Humberto Gonzalez

Montezuma, Costa...
50. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Thank you!!

All domains I own are open for sale (hearing offers!!). Buying and reselling domains is not a new practice on web. Anyone can guy and sale domains.

I own www.zumatoursgroup.com and which is also and S.A. (Incorporated) registered in public records in Costa Rica under www.zumatoursgroup.com S.A. Even that this is an all ready registered company in Costa Rica If anyone want to offer money for this domain name I am more than happy heard offers.

The certified owner(s) of pictures, texts, etc can just send and email indicating that want the content take down and I will make sure it get done.

I have to deal myself with TONS of pictures I own, they were taking from my sites and use at different other websites. I have send email requesting the pictures to be taking down and no one answer to my requests.

Again, if you review the Terms and Conditions everything is explained:

www.zumatoursgroup.com/terms-and-conditions

Regards,

Humberto Gonzalez

Reply to: Ivan's House Scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted