We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivan's House Scam?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 13
Ivan's House Scam?

Hi -

In late March 2011 I booked Ivan's House in Montezuma through Humberto at reservations@ivanshouse.com. Just today I emailed to advise of our arrival time to be told that although we were sent reservation confirmations and paid for this place in April 2011, our reservations were cancelled (this from Humberto). Upon following up with Ivan, we are told that Humberto is fraudelently selling reservations for his house, and he is unable to honour them. Has anyone else had this experience? Beware! I will be contacting the folks here at tripadvisor to be alerted to this.

R

85 replies to this topic
Playa Conchal...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Thanks for posting. Just to be clear- you're saying that www,ivanshouse.com is the fraudulent site?

I assume that this is the correct one:

http://ivanshousemontezuma.com/

?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Sadly - this problem with vacation rentals is becoming more common. I just read an article about someone in the Miami area who was scamming people by renting them a house based on photos of a house that the person did not own and did not have access to. The owners of the house said that unfortunately, several people have arrived only to find out they did not rent the house and their money was gone.

I have not heard of this happening before in Costa Rica - but that may not mean very much.

I would say that anyone renting a vacation rental these days should be very careful and double check that it is legitimate.

3. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:31 pm, January 04, 2012

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

No - that's the one I booked through.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Here's the issue - when I look at the site you posted it is the same site that I sent the reservation to and reserved through, but the contact email link goes to zumatours.net (which Ivan says is his) AND ivanshouse.com (which Ivan says is not his. Who knows? Just be careful.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

I did get some more information about this. It seems that Humberto and Ivan had some sort of business arrrangement that dissolved, which led directly to this situation. I would just ensure you are dealing directly with Ivan prior to firming up any arrangements or transferring funds for the rental of Ivan's House - his email is ivan@zumatours.net

R

costa rica
reviews: 3
7. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Thank you guys and thanks god that some body is writing about this story that became a night mare to me.

YOU ARE RIGHT IS A BIG SCAM

My name is Ivan Rutter and a part www.ivanshousemontezuma.com I am the owner of www.zumatours.net as well.

You have to know that Mr. Humberto Gonzales have been working for me until 2007, I had to fire him for his inapropiate way to do business when he started to buy domains all around this area and start forming his own company focused in organize holidays in Costa Rica, providing hotels, rent a car, excursions etc. through internet.

I have been accepting reservations from him until may 2011 when finally

I could check by my self that Humberto was lying to the poor customers over charging the services and also adding extra fees and extra taxes at the bill.

Immediately I canceled all the reservations we had from him!!!!!

He is still selling services through web pages similars than mines, just couple of days ago I meet a couple that just get back from Tortuga Snorkeling Trip, they bought at www.zumatoursgroup.com and they have been sending from Humberto with an other company not even close to Zumatours, they were disappointed but I could do nothing, just invited them to write their experience......this is a big Scam, is a shame that people like Humberto harm the image of our little community and take vantage confusing people that search in internet for arrange their holidays.

You have also to know that until may Humberto had the password of my web site www.ivanshousemontezuma.com and that the way Kevin you have negotiated with Humberto and not with me on www.ivanshousemontezuma.com.

I had to talk with the company that made my web page and up load my page again changing all the access, password and codes. (even if I have the suspect that he is able to read my mails from his computers)

This was the only way to eliminate Humberto from my official web page even if he is posting my property in many other web pages that belong to him. Right now I am changing password every 10 days to avoid to be read. ( that's what I hope)

In united stated people like him would be persecuted from the justice but here in Costa Rica we are still in a third world system for many aspects.

Finally guys I think that the only way to eliminate Humberto from our business is do not accept any reservation from him, no availability for Humberto Gonzales that's it..... soon he'll have to grab his computers and bad intentions and move some where else if nobody work with him.

Now if you get into www.ivanshousemontezuma.com you will find my e mail direccion ivan@zumatours.net which is the only one you have to write if interested in my place.

If you are interested in Zumatours services same address or write at info@zumatours.net

Again Rhonda and Kevin I am really sorry for this situation are you suffering,

I think that Humberto will refund your money pretty soon after this scandal.

I will be more than glad to meet you in person when here to explain even better with full details the entire story.

You have also to know that i started a legal process against him and I can show you all my private files concerning this story.

I hope also that other colleagues and friends use this forum to talk about

their experience with Humberto Gonzales and his domains.

Thank you again for the opportunity to clarify my position, I want also worning all the people that Humberto use differents nick names, and different companies, make sure you are dealing with the correct person and the official business before buying something in this area trough internet.

regards

Ivan Rutter

Portland, Oregon
8. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Wish I had seen all of this before I booked my "stay" at Ivan's House.....

I booked way back in August through the email reservations@ivanshouse.com and was told less than 1 week before we were to arrive, that the house had been double booked. After I received that email, I never heard from them again, even after calling and emailing about a half dozen times. In order to get the reimbursement that I was promised, I had to involve my bank. This is a huge scam and I don't recommend ever booking through the email listed above.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
9. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Wow!!!! What a crazy situation this is... Really sorry to hear about this ORTap and also to you Ivan! Really blows to have someone messing with your good name.

I have been on a few Zuma Tours with you guys over the years and you run a great business. Very good of you to respond to this thread and shed some light on what is going on.

Good luck to both of you. Remember "what goes around comes around" - This thief Humberto will have his day and it will not be a good one...

Hang in there.

Cheers

costa rica
reviews: 3
10. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Hola' ORTap, sorry to hear that, I didn't knew about your case............ again if you are interested in my property the correct address is ivan@zumatours.net all other direccions are fakes and created from Humberto to confuse people and scam them.

My official web page is www.ivanshousemontezuma.com and you can also get my property through V.R.B.O. Homeaway, Flipkey or TripAdvisor

I have sendeed severals notes to Google support to makes corrections on their research engine but at the moment Humberto Gonzales still appear in charge of my house, which is absolutely false.

Worning: Humberto owns those web pages belows and many more.....

www.montezuma-hotels.com

www.zumatoursgroup.com

www.malpaisadventure.com

www.malpais-hotels.com

www.ivanshouse.com

www.thecostaricashuttle.com

www.thetaxiboat.com

www.transportation-costarica.com

www.santateresa-hotels.com

Be carefull there are many more pages that belong to him, we don't even know how many but he is where ever, other important thing that you need to know is that he doesn't own anything.....just couple of computer.....nothing to loose.

Thank you ORTap to denounce that and hope that other people will not fall in this scam after all those informations.

Pls. do not hesitate to contact me for any thing you might need here,

regards

Ivan

Reply to: Ivan's House Scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted