We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lehigh Acres...
reviews: 2
Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Hello,

We are staying in Montezuma the first week of May and we are thinking of taking a day trip to the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area. I've tried to look on the forums but there is too much info to narrow down what I want to ask.

We will not have a car so we will be relying solely on public transportation. My questions are:

1. What are the schedules for the public buses between the town of Montezuma to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa (I've tried unsuccessfully to find that info).

2. We are interested in sight-seeing and relaxing at the beach--is it possible to do this in a day by taking a public bus or would we have to take a taxi as well or spend the night in the towns?

3. Is there enough to see and do to warrant a day trip or are the beaches in Montezuma just as good. (We aren't surfers we are just beach bums).

Any suggestions you have would be great. We are looking for some relaxation so if the trip from Montezuma to that area is going to be stressful and difficult I will pass.

Thanks!!

New York City, New...
1. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Its pretty cumbersome to rely on public transportation in this area. If you plan on exploring rent a jeep or an atv, it gives you freedom and saves time waiting for the bus. Taxi prces are steep

New York City, New...
2. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Forgot to mention that the ride from montezuma to mal pais is around 35 minutes . Over an hr by bus I think it would be foolish not to explore as the beaches here in my opinion at least are more beautiful than montezuma. You never know if you will be back so might as well see as much as you can and have no regrets

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
3. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

To get to Mal Pais from Montezuma you first take a bus from the main bus stop on the beach to Cobano, about 20-25 min and under a $1. You then catch another bus from Cobano to Malpais. From what I remember, the Montezuma to Cobano bus was every 2 hours, and the Cobano to Malpais bus is less frequent. Just check the schedule when you get in town but it is very doable and very cheap, maybe 1.25 hours for the trip. We took a taxi a couple of times for $30 each way.

Its worth the effort, the beach is beautiful and you cant miss Brisas Del Mar for a sunset dinner. Have fun!

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

It kind of depends if your priority is budget or time. You coud always split the difference and bus there and taxi back at your leisure. As Mariposa said, you bus to Cobano & transfer to the Malpais bus (they pretty much connect), coming back is more difficult, so maybe preserve the taxi back as an option

Go early

Montezuma, Costa...
5. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Oh - PS

bus times change with the tide & the ferry, but are more or less every 2 hours

Fort Myers, FL
6. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Thanks for all the good info, I think the bus there taxi back would be a good option!

Michigan
reviews: 5
7. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

That will allow you to see a beatiful sunset at least. The beaches there are long and great for some good walks. The surf gives it a much different feel than Montezuma, so make sure you get to play in the water. It is a lot different from the more tranquile transparent blue water of montezuma. You should try a surf lesson or do some body boarding while you are there.

LONG ISLAND,NY
reviews: 20
8. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

I though the ATV Idea was going to stink and my husband talked me into it.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!

We did 3 days and all 3 days we went to Mal Pais and Santa Thersa.

It was the quickest...45 minutes... and the most reliable way to do it. We had so much fun and I would have really missed some of the best sites and beaches.

I highly reccommend renting the ATV's

Lehigh Acres...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

Is there a direct route on the atv's? I know the roads in CR are notorious for being bad and lacking directionals...I'm always up for an adventure, but I don't really want to get lost in the rainforest. : )

Edited: 9:42 am, January 15, 2012
Montezuma, Costa...
10. Re: Staying in Montezuma - Day trip to Mal Pais /Santa Teresa

That's actually quite easy, with not too much room for getting lost.

If you want the shortcut - head left (west) out of Montezuma, and just after the waterfall parking lot, in front of the Amor de Mar hotel, turn right, up a very steep hill (be careful on this part of the road). You'll pass the Maropsario & the Canopy Tours. Keep on the road, at the T junction turn left. Stay on this road, you'll pass a cemetary, don't turn, just stay on the main road, soon after you pass the little green school, there is a well posted sign for Malpais, you turn left there and it brings you out on the main road to Malpais, turn left onto it . It sounds more complicated than it is. If you are unsure, ask anyone you pass. It's a much nicer drive than the one through Cobano

The long way around is to go to straight to Cobano, turn left at the main intersection (by the bank) and the road goes straight to Malpais