We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
reviews: 1
Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Has anyone heard of or used the Montezuma Expedition shuttle service? For 45$ per person, you get shuttled from SJO to Hotel Volcanes for the night, breakfast, and then the shuttle ride to Montezuma. Sounds good to me, but does anyone have experience?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
11. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

yes, I think that staying around Grecia or other location on the way to Puntarenas could work well, then have your ferry schedule ready and catch the ferry in the morning. You don't want to be driving around at night and it does get dark around 6:30. The ferry across the bay to Paquero is quite scenic. We were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant at the ferry dock in Paquero also had surprisingly good food. Fun drive to Montezuma, lots of interesting scenery. Make sure you rent a 4x4 if you drive. The Montezuma Exped. tour should work great for you ,though, so you can just enjoy. Be sure to give a trip report. We just loved Montezuma!!!! Pura vida.

Maryland
12. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Thanks for your help, snorkel-luvin, travel10000 and onthebuckle. Although i am very tempted to rent a car for the trip, the prospect of spending 10+ hours on the road going between the hotel and airport really does not appeal to me. To catch my departure flight at 1:30 pm, i would have to be on the road at the break of dawn on a week long trip that’s already been cut too short…

So here’s what I am planning to do: upon arrival I will be catching a Montezuma Expeditions shuttle and stay around San Jose for the night (hopefully there will be something to do around the hotel). On my return trip, I will be catching an early morning Sansa airline fllight from Tambor airport (short 1 hour trip to San Jose). I think I will get the best of both worlds this way. It gives me a chance to see the country while not to be too stressed out about driving and schedule.

Total cost for traveling between San Jose to Montezuma would be more than $280 for two people, ouch.

Btw, for other people who might be interested in this information as well… My hotel offered a private taxi transfer for total of $360 round trip. If you have a bigger group (as long as everyone can fit in one car) it might be a better deal than flying or shuttle…

Woodinville...
13. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

You are going to have such a great time. Wish I was going with you. I am trying to go back ASAP but need to find a travel partner. My husband found Montezuma to be too hot and I'm not much for traveling alone. None of my friends are only interested in Costa Rica if they can have 5 star accomodations. Any 50ish women out there looking for a travel partner let me know or I'll wait until next year when my brother is there. My brother is from Fairbanks, AK but spends a few months every winter in Montezuma.

Have a wonderful trip and if you see a miniature doberman pincher roaming around give her a big kiss for me. I am hoping to bring her home with me on my next visit if she is still hanging around.

Woodinville...
14. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Oops, should have said none of my friends are interested in going to C.R.