We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
reviews: 1
Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Has anyone heard of or used the Montezuma Expedition shuttle service? For 45$ per person, you get shuttled from SJO to Hotel Volcanes for the night, breakfast, and then the shuttle ride to Montezuma. Sounds good to me, but does anyone have experience?

pennsylvania
1. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

anyone?

Woodinville...
2. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

The Montezuma Expedition Shuttle was recommended by my brother who travels to Montezuma every winter. He has traveled by bus and taxi in the past and claims that shuttles are "the only way to go". My husband and I used Montezuma Expeditions for transportation to and from Montezuma in February. The Hotel was very clean, quiet, located in a great area, and had a nice helpful staff. We were picked-up at the Hotel Volcanes in the morning by a comfortable, air conditioned 12 person van. Purchasing tickets for the ferry can be confusing if you are on your own. The Montezuma Expedition driver handed us our tickets explaining that we were to walk on. We were introduced to a young man who would ride along with us. He would help us find our waiting van when we disembarked. As soon as we left the ferry the young man located us and directed us to the waiting van. The road is full of potholes. I got the impression that our driver knew each one intimately. He drove quickly dodging potholes and passing slow car rental drivers for the remainder of our drive. I was grateful for his exceptional skill as it is a long day at best that could be made longer by a driver who doesn't know the road. We did make one pit stop at an extremely clean gas station. The station had a few stalls in the women's rest room so we were able to be back on the road quickly. We were delivered right to our hotel with smiles on our faces feeling like we had spent our $45.00 wisely. The hotel is another story. It was overpriced and run down. Left there as fast as we could and moved into a great place outside of town called Las Manchas. If you have not decided on a hotel I highly recommend Las Manchas. It is nothing fancy but has a great beach. The staff is the greatest! I will be returning as soon as I can to visit Las Manchas. If you happen by there say hello to Juan Carlos and play a game of dominos for me.

Marcy

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

go for it , they are nice people...

Oklahoma City, OK
4. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Marcy-

Might be helpful to know what your original hotel was?

Woodinville...
5. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

We were not happy with the Luz de Mono. I read a couple other reports in this forum that had positive things to say about the Luz but my husband and I would disagree. The Luz de Mono has a beautiful web site that we felt did not accurately portray the accommodations received. The management refused to refund our deposit and we entered into a difficult negotiation. We are still working with our bankcard company in an effort to receive a refund on an amount charged to our card that was never disclosed. On the good side....the casita we had for 6 nights was spacious and we saw more monkeys there than anywhere else. I kinda think Montezuma is going through some growing pains from recent popularity. Get a little bit out of town and prices and service seem to be much better.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
6. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

Haven;t heard of Las Manchas, but it sounds good. We stayed at Amor de Mar in the casita which was very, very cool-so unique and relaxing. Outside of town, so quieter than Luz de Mono, which is right in town. Ylang Ylang is on other side of town, very beautiful and full of wildlife with a stunning beach. Can you easily walk to town from Las Manchas?

Woodinville...
7. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

To walk to town from Las Manchas was slow but not too difficult. I had surgery on my foot two months before our trip and was still recovering. I did walk to town frequently but never felt the need to take the bus. I can't say enough about the wonderful people at Las Manchas. My husband and I felt like we were part of a family. Juan Carlos took care of all our needs, entertained us with nightly games of dominos, pool (they might have the only pool table in Montezuma), and even fixed us a late night snack of sushi one evening. I celebrated my 50th birthday during our stay. A beautiful floral arrangement and pina colada's were delivered to our room. The reasonably priced casita's are not fancy but the owner is working very hard to make improvements. The beach right across the road is small and quiet with less wave action than the beaches located in town. Donald and Fidel who run the restaurant at Las Manchas will deliver drinks and smoothies to you at the beach. What more could you ask for. After the terrible experience at the Luz de Mono we felt like we found the best that Montezuma has to offer without paying the price of a stay at Ylang Ylang.

Maryland
8. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

We are on our way to CR for the first time, we will be staying at Montezuma. I am very disappointed after reading all the posts here about the transportation situation.

Appearently the only recommented way to go down there is via this Montezuma Expedition shuttle service. I just hate to waste a day in San Jose. :( It's good to hear people have nice things to say about their services however.

My questions is: on their web site they listed $45 per person for a "double room" with shared bathroom what does the "double room" mean? we don't have to share room with strangers do we? and as for the "shared bathroom" part... can anyone who has used their services tell me if it's worth it to upgrade to "private bathroom"?

also, the only way to book a trip with them seems to be via a fax number they listed on the site after filling out two forms with credit numbers. has anyone had luck reserving via email with them?

are they really the ONLY option to go from SJO to Montezuma? our flight lands at 2:00pm. we really don't want to drive in the dark for 4-6 hours if we had any choice....

Thanks for your help!

NY
9. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

procrastinationer - Here are some other ideas for you:

You can rent a car when you arrive and see Poas Volcano. It's only an hour drive north from Alajuela. The park there opens at 8am and you should get there early, before 9am, before the clouds come. You can easily drive to Poas area when you arrive, spend the night in a hotel there, see the volcano in the morning, and then drive back to Alajuela and on to Montezuma.

Another option is to start driving to Montezuma after you arrive and spend the night in a hotel about an hour drive away, around Naranjo, Grecia, or San Ramon. There are some places there with private reserves where you can enjoy afternoon and morning hikes before you continue driving.

Make sure to check the ferry schedule so you know when you need to be in Puntarenas. You will need the ferry to Paquera, not Naranjo.

Or you can enjoy an afternoon activity in or around San Jose, stay overnight, and then drive, fly (NatureAir or Sansa), or take a shuttle the next morning (www.interbusonline.com for example goes to Montezuma).

Woodinville...
10. Re: Montezuma Expeditions --from airport to Montezuma shuttle

procrastinationer,

I was confused by the term "Double". The room we received after booking a "double" had a double bed (hard and small compared to my normal king size bed but adequate for my husband and me). We paid extra for a private bath coming in but shared a bath on our trip homeward. Although I still would prefer the private bath, the shared bath was not that bad. It was down the hall a bit but I didn't run into anyone on my middle of the night bathroom run. We didn't have to wait for the shower either. If you don't have access to a fax machine and are worried about reservations with e-mail I guess you could phone them. Their english is good.

I have no idea of the cost but I recall reading a review on TripAdvisor for a private driver. I think his first name was Frank if that helps locate the review. I have also heard that taxi's will take you to Montezuma.

Have fun on your trip! Wish I was going with you.