We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
reviews: 4
Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

We are renting a villa in Cabuya for 2 weeks and really don't want to rent a car. I would love however to try out some of the yoga classes in Montezuma...I know there's a bus but how reliable and at what times does it go?

Considered a bicycle but am thinking it would be a pretty dusty ride.

Any thoughts? Or yoga in Cabuya?

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
11. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

i'm guessing it's about a 15 min drive in our rental?

thx,

lwbc

Moncton, Canada
12. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

We have obviously already finished our Cabuya trip but thought I'd post my experience. The bus works very well so we used it any time we wanted to go to Montezuma. Schedule available at the Super Chicho market and it was surprisingly very on time! The early buses would easily get us into town at a good time for yoga as there were multiple choices available but I just ended up doing my own workout at the yoga platform outside our villa in Cabuya. I think biking it would be also relatively easy for anybody in any kind of shape, but as I thought, it would be very dusty. We even walked it a couple times. Once just as an activity, worked our way up the coast through the coves and beaches and took the bus back. And another time just for some exercise. Maybe just over an hours walk? And very flat... Family with us had small children and used the bus & taxi, depending on the timing and how many were travelling.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
13. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

Lennox - sounds like you enjoyed your visit!! I'm in the process now of choosing between a rental in Cabuya or the hills above Montezuma and I'm having a difficult time making up my mind! So, reading your comments are very helpful!

I know Cabuya is a very small "town" with only a few shops but I like that everything is within walking distance. In Montezuma, we would have to drive into town (we will have a vehicle). What we don't necessarily like is that the beaches in Cabuya are rocky and appear not to be friendly for lazy beach time...can you comment?

Thanks so much for your help!

lwbc

Moncton, Canada
14. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

We have stayed above Montezuma in the hills in a b&b and then last time rented a villa in Cabuya and really enjoyed the quiet of Cabuya. We tried out all the local eateries (3 sodas, Cafe Coyote, and a bakery which served a variety of food including sushi, and a hotel restaurant outside Cabuya which was a little fancier and pricier) We enjoyed walking through the town in the evenings and enjoying the warm night air and saying hi to the locals also out for evening strolls. The 2 convenience stores had everything we needed for cooking, and our villa had a pool as well. But no sandy beach except in Cabo Blanco after a nice long hike. We took the bus into M-zuma a few days and walked to our fave beach Playa Grande, and also cabbed to Mail Pais and spent 1 day there.

We like not having the responsibility and worry of a car, it forces us into a more relaxed pace that we really enjoy.

When we stayed in M-zuma we walked down the hill and sometimes back up and it was nice being near the shops and restaurants for a few days but not necessary to be there for 2 weeks.

But we are active people who are often surprised by what some people consider "too far to walk". When we're on vacation, what's the hurry? Send me a message if you have any specific questions.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
15. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

"Too long of a walk" for some people is tiring (and not their type of vacation).

Most people tell me they think the walk in Cabo Blanco is the most grueling thing they did all trip (and not "a nice long hike"), it's a lot of up and down and it's 2 hours back. I've even heard people complain about just doing the short loop at Cabo Blanco.

There's a reason they make you sign in and out at the desk at Cabo Blanco, they want to make sure you got out Alive! Yes, I'm exaggerating, but it is a lot of very steep up and down. I've done it a few times but it's not easy.

I think the 2 hour hike to El Chorro Falls along the beach (NE of Montezuma) is super super easy compared to the up/down of Cabo Blanco.

But Cabo Blanco is beautiful and has a variety of animals.

Here's some of my pictures from Cabo Blanco

http://MontezumaPacific.com/tags/cabo-blanco/

(Oops, I didn't realize I had 2 of the same bridge).

A few of El Chorro falls

http://MontezumaPacific.com/tags/el-chorro/

Although, a variety of my photos are along the beach north of Montezuma on the way to El Chorro http://MontezumaPacific.com/

Gary

PS - I actually know a Costa Rican family that did the hike out to Cabo Blanco beach and then sent one of the kids back and got someone to pick them up with a boat, this was for the adults!

Moncton, Canada
16. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

Exactly my point...what is a nice hike for some is too much for others. That's why I wanted to say we are regularly active people who exercise all year round. If you drive everywhere all year round, don't try to do more than you're capable of on vacation. Yes the hike in Cabo Blanco is vigorous, the walk to Cabuya is flat but about 7km. It can be done but it'll take over an hour of your day...it all depends what you're looking for.

We met people in Cabuya who's s fave walk is from Mal Pais to Cabuya at sunset! That's what makes the world go round.

My main point was that just because people say it's too far to walk or you'll need a car doesn't make it so. Decide for yourself based on your prefernces and fitness.

Dearborn, Michigan
17. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

I agree, people reading don't know how hard something is because people who love to walk say it's "nice long hike". We need to give them details like: lots of steep up and downs and it's not flat at all (on the Cabo Blanco hike).

Personally, I walk and bike all the time, but I'm from flat MIchigan. I walk and hike all the time in Costa Rica too. But I define Cabo Blanco as "grueling" but I'll also mention I've gone back a few times.

From Cabuya to Montezuma it's an hour walk on a mostly flat gravel road that seems to have quite a bit of shade (I've never done the who way to Cabuya so I can't say for sure on the shade) and it has beautiful views BUT it is incredibly dusty and that on a super dry day you'll choke every time a fast car drives by. The dust is the only reason why I don't recommend it.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
18. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

PS - Someone was talking a.bout how rocky the beaches were in Cabuya, this is looking southeast down the beach from Monteuma. I'm not sure how far down Cabuya is in the images, but it gives an idea of how the beaches are...

GarySaid.com/my-secret-view-of-montezuma/

Gary

19. Re: Cabuya to Montezuma question(s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 27, 2013