We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Hi, we are thinking of coming to Montezuma this January (arrive Jan. 6 and staying 7-10 days). We prefer to travel spontaneously and rarely book rooms in advance. I'm wondering how full things are in Montezuma at this part of January - are we crazy to just show up? We generally prefer mid-range budget places, which I'm guessing in Montezuma would be about $25-$45/night? Any input is appreciated!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
11. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Yellabrckcr, I understand where you are coming from. I would much prefer to make reservations and secure a room ahead of time for all the same reasons, but sadly I don't think it is an option. Do you know of anywhere on the Pacific coast that has some stuff going on (nice beach, some activities), but where one can just show up?

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
12. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Ocellot, I'm wracking my brain , but cannot think of anywhere. There are some hostels here that don't take reservations that you could try, but they give preference to people already staying there, so you take your chances.

Beyond Montezuma, there is a village called Cabuya where you might have better luck, but again there are no guarantees, and it is a 7 km bus-ride from Monte (but with some lovely beaches, a decent shop and a restaurant or 2).

Is it possible that closer to the the time, you could commit to booking 1 or 2 nights?

If you are in a pinch I also know some local people who might be willing to do homestays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
13. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Yellabrickcr, thank you for the efforts and advice! I ended up booking the first 3 nights at Luna Llena. The communal kitchen and quieter location were big selling points, and it seemed pointlessly exhausting to show up after a 7 hour flight, 7 hour bus ride, probably no sleep, and no where booked. Can't wait to get there!!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
14. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Luna Llena is a great location - just far enough out of town to escape the noise! Good call

15. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 03, 2013