We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 20
Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Hi, we are thinking of coming to Montezuma this January (arrive Jan. 6 and staying 7-10 days). We prefer to travel spontaneously and rarely book rooms in advance. I'm wondering how full things are in Montezuma at this part of January - are we crazy to just show up? We generally prefer mid-range budget places, which I'm guessing in Montezuma would be about $25-$45/night? Any input is appreciated!!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
1. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Well, I know that Montezuma is booked solid right now...but it should be better for your timeline. If I were you, I would book at least a night or two then look around when you get there.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

you can try www.hotellosmangos.com they are one of the larger properties in the area. if you decide to stay in the "hotel" avoid room 2 as it is right below the shared bathroom on the second floor.

Edited: 9:57 am, December 18, 2011
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
3. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

i did something very similar to this earlier this year in february. we had the first month booked, but left the second month wide open. before leaving we made a list of hotels within our budget in each area we thought we might visit. you might want to generate a list of at least 3 hotels in case the first two are full or closed or not up to par.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Hi all, Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated, and I will check out these places. I am making a list we can check out when we arrive. But does anyone know how full the town generally is in early January? It sounds like it IS possible to show up and find something. Cheers!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Dear ocellot...

If you show up around any weekend...you may hvae problems...finding anything good enough...but druring the week good chances to find a nice place for you guys...

Check Amor de Mar!!nice B and B...next to beach and waterfall entrance!!

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Usually Montezuma is pretty full at that time. At very least (as suggested above by Allylam), book a night or two. But honestly I would try to book your whole stay.

It saves you wasting a day of your holiday looking for accomodation. If you leave it to the last minute, you may get lucky or you may well end up paying a lot more or having a location either too far from town, too close to the late bar in town, or otherwise dodgy places.

I'm guessing you don't have a vehicle? Basically the further from town you can go, the more you get for your money, but then there is the inconvenience

I agree with the recommendation for Los Mangos or Amor de Mar, also Luna Llena. They are all kind of the perfect walking distance from town and within your price range. But I know Amor de Mar is already filling up.

1 thing for sure - book soon!

i

New York City, New...
7. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

Many thanks all! Some excellent suggestions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 17
8. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

All the better hotels will be booked up - leaving you to choose from the hotels that are overpriced for their amenities or are awful.

I wouldn't 'wing it' in Manuel Antonio, Arenal, Tamarindo, Montezuma or Jaco - or any of the more popular stops in Costa Rica. Last year I would have no problems booking last minute for the hotels I use, but this year all the better hotels are fully booked.

New York City, New...
9. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

That is good to know, rohrmoser. Maybe we should stay slightly off the beaten path in that case. Playa Samara sounds good as well. Montezuma sounds great, but I am concerned that we'll be stuck in a less than ideal situation if we just "show up."

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Montezuma - just showing up no reservations

I don't think you'll be any better off in Samara, it's not exactly 'off the beaten path' either. You should still book a place. It's a different story in low season, of course,

I once spent 3 days traipsing around Nosara and 1 in Montezuma trying to find a suitable decent place in my budget (around the same as yours). Wasting precious beach time : (