We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling US from Costa Rica

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centennial
reviews: 3
Calling US from Costa Rica

I am traveling to Costa Rica for 8 days over Christmas and wondering what would be the cheapest option for making phone calls back to the US. I have an iphone with ATT. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michigan
reviews: 5
11. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

"AT&T wont unlocked your iphone."

Seriously? that is horrible.

I bought a new android and they gave me the unlock code a few days later.

I specifically asked for "the unlock code to allow me to use an international pre-paid SIM card in costa Rica". They are not going to unlock it for anything in the US, but didn't mind me using ICE in Costa Rica.

LONG ISLAND,NY
reviews: 20
12. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

skype!!!!!! It is the best

Gotta try that Majic Jack though...Ive been using skype for so long I never thought of using anything else

Centennial
reviews: 3
13. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Thanks for all of your posts regarding the calling issue. We just returned from Costa Rica and unfortunately had our IPhone stolen out of the hotel room after trying to get Skype to work, which was unsuccessful. However, we were able to use the IPAD with free internet useage in the hotel lobbies where we stayed. One note, we had free international calling available from our hotel room at the Best Western Irazu in San Jose, a nice perk.

Arkansas
14. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Where were you staying at when your phones were stolen? Hope it's not my hotel!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
15. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Magic Jack...

roadadisor

Union, NJ
reviews: 17
16. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

I have a phone that does not work internationally. After researching my options I am renting a phone from costaricacellularconnection.com. The company is run by two Americans who were getting married in Costa Rica and whose friends and family wanted a reliable way to all home. They live in the US and Costa Rica. With that background and the good information on their website I felt comfortable. They are sending the phone to me here in the US before I leave. I have received operating instructions for the phone via email so far.

I will post when I return with how it worked. I will also use skype as there are computers where I am staying with free wifi.

Edited: 11:17 pm, March 08, 2012
17. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, March 09, 2012
18. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, March 11, 2013