We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling US from Costa Rica

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centennial
reviews: 3
Calling US from Costa Rica

I am traveling to Costa Rica for 8 days over Christmas and wondering what would be the cheapest option for making phone calls back to the US. I have an iphone with ATT. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Medellin, Colombia
reviews: 20
1. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Download the Skype app and find a WiFi signal at your hotel, etc. Your AT&T data plan will cost a lot of money when you are outside the U.S. so you will want to make sure that is turned off. Making or receiving calls on your AT&T phone will be expensive.

Playa Hermosa...
2. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 26
3. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Skype over Wifi or magic jack

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 39
4. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

just a note that if you've never used Skype before, buy the $10 in credit before you leave home. My credit card company flagged the charge as suspicious and when I questioned it, they said the often find scammers.

Skype app is great, plus any credit you don't use you can use from home.

Note that unless you want to pay for a lot of extra charges, you should set your iPhone to Airplane Mode the entire time you're away. Just go into settings to manually turn wifi on.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 71
5. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

I am not familiar with the AT & T Iphone but I have the 4S from Verizon and called them and asked them to unlock my phone which they did. When I arrive I am going to buy a Sim card from ICE which is located in the airport.

Michigan
reviews: 5
6. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

+1 on ICE.

I called AT&T and had them unlock my card so that I could use a "prepaide international SIM card"

AT&T gave me the unlock code

About 15minutes and $10 later at the ICE counter at the airport I had a local SIM and a local Costa Rica phone number (I have an AT&T International android phone).

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
7. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

We bought a sim card at Jaun Santamaria Saturday and it only took about 10 minutes and we were good to go

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
8. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

AT&T wont unlocked your iphone.

New Orleans
reviews: 48
9. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Two words - MAGIC JACK! Will pay for itself after the first day.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
10. Re: Calling US from Costa Rica

Two words: Internet cafe. Use their SKYPE for a free call and pay about $1 an hour for using the internet.