We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 2
Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Thinking of staying at Ylang Ylang in April or May for about 4 nights. We will have our 5 year old son with us and while he has basic swimming skills, is not yet of Olympic calibre. How is the swimming in the ocean in front of Ylang Ylang? From the pictures posted with the reviews it looks like there are a fair number of rocks on the beach and likely in the water. My concern is that he might get knocked around in the waves, even if he's not in too deep, and end up on a rock. Is it reasonably safe to swim or at least play in the shallow water? Are there any small stretches of beach where you're not going to step on rocks, or do you have to watch your step at all times?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
1. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Pacific beaches in general can be pretty rough business. There are smoother beaches either directly north or south of Ylang Ylang's stretch of beach.

He'll definitely get knocked around if you let him stand on his own.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
2. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Agree with racandee. We visited in June and did not even try to wade in the ocean in front of Ylang Ylang as the waves were huge. There was a calmer beach between Ylang Ylang and town but even that would be dangerous for a 5 year old. He's much better off at the pool at Ylang Ylang or just playing in the sand.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

You have to pick your spot to avoid the rocks. Right in front of Ylang is not the best, but if you go a little further towards town there is a gentler place. Ask locals including hotel staff and they will direct you. Howevever when tides are high/strong have him stay in the shallowest water and keep an eye on him. The pool is a great idea and for other alternatives, there is also a lovely freshwater swimming hole on the way to Cabuya which is completely still & safe & easy to get to. The pond at El Chorro falls is nice too (horse ride there is best) or if he can do the hike over rocks & through woods, Montezuma falls has a nice pond too

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
4. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

As an added bonus, monkeys like to hang around the pool at Ylang Ylang (in the trees of course).

Toronto
reviews: 2
5. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Thanks all. Sounds like it's ok as long as you pick your spots and waves aren't too large. As I would hate to go to a beautiful beach and then have to swim in the pool the whole time I just wanted to make sure that you could at least play in the ocean (with child, close to shore of course!) without constant fear of getting sliced by volcanic rocks. The area towards town sounds good too, I'm assuming it's a 5-10 minute walk?

Montezuma, Costa...
6. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

I'd say max 5 min to that area - you can even see it, there's rocks on both sides and is clear in the middle - there are some underfoot rocks (toe stubbing ones - not slicing ones) so have him tread carefully and he'll be fine.

If you want to venture a bit further - Playa Grande is about a 30 min walk (to the left out of Ylang, through some trails) - has no rocks & safe. A friend of mine takes her toddler (with Down syndrom) there all the time

Montezuma, Costa...
7. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

My husband just reminded me about Piedra Colarada. The sea is not safe there, but there is a lovely pond at the bottom of the river that is right on the beach - really safe & calm & sometimes the waves even come up to it. It's maybe 100m from Ylang Ylang

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

Mac to

Our beaches are great most of them...but please do not leave your kid unatended one second...Please..just common sense...and you will have a great vacation...

roadadvisor

9. Re: Ylang Ylang beach swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 20, 2012