We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina...
reviews: 2
Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Hello all, my (soon-to-be) wife will be going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in February, staying just outside of Montezuma. We would both like to try surfing, and Im sure we will enjoy the beach and water no matter what else we do, but we were looking for any suggestions of what to check out while we are there. We are nature lovers, would LOVE to see some sea turtles, we are both skilled photographers/videographers. So, any and all recomendations are welcome. Whats fun and exciting that we wouldnt normally hear about? Any good places to eat? Any particular parks or areas to check out for some good photos?

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
1. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

I'm sure you can get some great phots in and around the entire area, including a hike through Babo Blanco National Preserve. Ckeck out Zuma Tours for boat and snorkle tours around Tortuga Island and other spots for possible turtle spotting. Have a great honeymoon!

Regina...
2. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

I kept reading this forum after I posted, and saw a few about Zuma tours on Tortuga island. I think this is something we will do.

Keep em coming! :)

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Great restaurant Playa do los Arstistas I think it is called. Whenever I am in that area I eat there almost every night.

I second the advice from Allylam to go to Tortuga Island with Zuma Tours, well worth the trip.

There is a nice waterfall in the area you an walk to from town, nice light hike, someone from the area will need to chime in with the name, it escapes me right now. Last time I was there we had a troop of Howler Monkeys keeping us company.

The town is very small, very laid back, you will dig it.

Cheers

Edited: 1:47 pm, October 05, 2011
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

inca it's montezuma falls! i've been a couple times and i'll go again, it's that good. there is another waterfall, one of only two in the world that empty directly into the ocean, but i can't remember the name. this one is a 2.5 hour hike along the beach, not something for the less than healthy and determined. you can drive to it but i can't remember the name of the hotel that shares the road. there is a path in the jungle that edges the beach and it's loaded with wildlife like monkeys, lizards, crabs and birds. there was a turtle hatching project along the beach as well. i went to tortuga island ten years ago and it was beautiful, the snorkelling nearby was so-so, but worth it.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 29
5. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

I loved montezuma. go to the falls and playa grande beach, zuma has lots of tours good company. Go to cabo blanco or curu park. horseback with el pinto nice tour.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
6. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Montezuma falls, and a tour of Curu reserve. Most amazing, big, deserted beach you'll see along with loads of wildlife.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

The Montezuma waterfalls are great, but it is a bit of a hike through a river & over boulders, Cabo Blanco is great. You can horseback ride along the beach to El Chorro waterfalls. Surf lessons can be done through Proyecto Montezuma - Playa Grande is a great learning beach, or you can take a day out to Santa Teresa for serious surf. For booking tours Zuma Tours is the only decent agency to go through. I'd also recommend just walking around some backroads, just to see wildlife & rural scenes. There is also the Butterfly Gardens just outside Montezuma. There are some lovely rivers & beaches on the road to Cabuya, or you can take a bus there (it is on the way to Cabo Blanco)

Regina...
8. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, Im sure once we get there and have a look around we will have tons to do. Butterfly gardens sounds nice. The fiancee is a little concerned for safety, in terms of theives, and dangerous animals. I think we'll be fine as long as were careful.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
9. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

as far as safety goes, just follow all the rules that have kept you safe up til now. you say you are avid photographers so start by not leaving anything unattended anywhere at any time. montezuma is very safe, but don't give a thief an opportunity. if you plan on renting a car the same rules apply, don't leave anything in it.

Regina...
10. Re: Suggestions for activities in/around Montezuma?

Yeah weve already established that Rule #1 is to always be in contact with our cameras, or the bags they are in. Too much money invested in gear to leave it unattended for even a second. If all we had were cheap-o point and shoots, then it might be a bit different. But since were taking around $6000 in gear, rules change, and that would quickly ruin our nice vacation.