We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 14
Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

I have read mixed reviews on the day trip to Tortuga island/snorkeling.

Having recently snorkeled in Belize, I'm afraid I may be disappointed.

We'll be there in March. Would you recommend the trip?

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

You should be okay in March, it's out of rainy season so the water will be clearer, but don't expect Belize.

The snorkeling is not as good, but the tour is a very nice day out and very good value - nice boat trip, a little snorkelling & lunch for $45/pp. The trip lasts the whole day (9 - 4 I think). Go with Zuma tours - they have the best equipment & service

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 33
2. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

While I liked the tour very much. The snorkeling was not much to speak of, If snorkeling is your main focus of the tour you may be dissappointed. we did see whales along the way nice boat ride good lunch and pretty beach.

Chicago
reviews: 14
3. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Thanks, that is what I suspected. The entire day sounds like a nice outing. Have you heard of Malpais Adventure Company? They offer this tour for $55. Thanks.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
4. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Have not heard of Malpais Adventure Co. so can't help you there..yet...but there is a good chance I will take this tour in Dec. so I'm hoping someone else will chime in...

The snorkling is not going to be even close to what Belize is like, so just don't expect anything...just go for the nice boat tour, beach and lunch!

5. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:02 am, September 07, 2011
San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Havent heard of that one, the one that has more experience in the area is ZumaTours.

Cheers!

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

No way you can compare Belize to Tortuga...of course Belize is a lot a lot better....

The most popular company to use to visit the Island out of Puntarenas...Calypso Island Tour...nobody offfer better boat..and services at the island...about 40 years sailing to the island!

March is a great month to visit the island!

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Everyone is right - don't expect the snorkeling experience of your life, but it is a nice day out - very cheap for what you get.

If you are heading out from Montezuma - Zuma are the guys to go with.

Someone mentioned an option from Puntarenas - but that is a 2.5 hour journey from here, so while I'm sure they are good, it is not really practical from here.

Best of Luck & Happy Travelling!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 39
9. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

Agree 100%, unless your down in Drakes Bay we dont have the best snorkeling, not much in the way of reefs here. Tortuga island tour I did once with Zuma Tours - http://zumatours.net/ It was worth it IMO, but dont expect to see to much underwater. I have gone to the island many times with friends on private boats. I say go for it.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Isla Tortuga Snorkeling

That is a good point...are you planning to take the tour from?

Thank you yellabrick...that is a great point!

roadadvisor