We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

Montezuma, Costa Rica

My family and I have had the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica a few times over the past several years. From the very first visit, we found the country overflows with many wonders of nature. The people of Costa Rica seem to cherish this gift and protect it.

We have visited extensively in the Guanacaste province and love Arenal, Monteverde and Montezuma. When our travels are short, we limit our travels to Montezuma, as it holds a special place in our hearts.

I am dismayed to have read recently about some troubling incidents in Montezuma and read everything I could find about them.

Over the years, we have used many different travel/tour companies in CR. They have various levels of "professionalism", some very high, others little to none. As a tourist, often times you rely on these companies to provide "Adventure" tours....Sportfishing, Zip-lining, Boat transfers, horseback riding, etc. The companies directly provide various services or utilize other providers and then take a portion of the cost (or cut, having directed business their way). That's how it works in CR, as best as I can tell.

And, I have found that the quote, "You can't judge a book by its cover", is NOT appropriate when using a tour company. If they seem to have poor organization, they probably do. If there boats are shoddy looking, they probably are. If there boats don't have life vests on board, they probably are not very safety orientated. If the same horseback riding tour is $10 less than another company's, the beasts of burden suffer the discount. If their guides are less knowledgeable or don't answer your questions, they probably are not interested in giving you your moneys worth.

My family booked tours for a trip to Tortuga Island the last time in Montazuma, but unfortunately, the tour company cancelled the trip. Cancelled the trip because the seas were not safe for travel that day. Other companys made that trip on the same day, seemingly with no regard to the weather or safety of the travelers. What was the motivating factor? You decide.

I am troubled by what I have read about in Montezuma, but I am not concerned. My family is planning a trip there for this Winter. I know who I will use as a tour company in that town, because this company provides CONSISTENT, SUPERIOR service. I am positive this experience/occurrence would never take place with this company. Matter of fact, this company may very well set the "Gold Standard" others could learn from. Do yourself a courtesy and insure your experience is all it should be, shop around and make an informed decision.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

Hm, I thought I replied to this yesterday but it hasn't appeared. Anyway I said something like.

Thanks for this candid report. I agree completely that Cocozuma is not an operator you want to deal with. they have no regard for client safety, condition of their equipment or well-being of their horses. Unfortunately there are other tour companies as bad or worse in town.

As far as I can see, (from living here) Zuma Tours is the only one who cares about their clients, equipment & which sub-contractors they work with. Let me know if you find any other good ones

When you check out your tour company, also check out their sub-contractors too for any tours you are doing.

2. Re: Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

It was my intention to remain unbiased with respect to who I have used in the past. As I am not sure how these forums work and if anyone can see replies, I will again try to keep bias to a minimal.

You wanted to know of other good tour companies, well, I think your journey has probably come to an end.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

As a tour operator myself...I go by somenthing that I learned from my father...

It is better to have a MAD passenger than a DEAD passenger...

Some times we cancel or advice people do not to go in some tours...reason most of the time weather...I have had people screaming really bad...and telling me that another company run the river for example...in my case I give the refund...and sleep good that night...

Just my two cent´s...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

Roadadvisor,

Thanks for your response. I want to focus on a point you make, as a tour operator, you can cancel or advise against certain tours. Granted customers get angry regardless of the fact that you are doing this for their safety AND sacrificing your own income. Sounds to me like your dad is a smart man and I wish for you prosperity.

Let's face it, alot of these tours can be VERY dangerous and the possibility of injury or, dare I say, DEATH, is not outside the realm of possibilities. Costa Rica is the most beautiful place I have traveled, BUT is fraught with danger.

If you, frankly, put your life in another's hands, be advised, and more importantly, careful.

5. Re: Cocozuma Travelers- Montezuma, Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 12, 2012