We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice Needed

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
reviews: 13
Itinerary Advice Needed

We are leaving for Costa Rica on Wednesday, and have a couple days open in our itinerary. We fly to Liberia, and then are staying 2 nights in Manuel Antonio. The next 2 nights are open, Friday & Saturday. We were thinking of going to Montezuma, but haven't had luck booking a hotel there yet. Then the following 2 nights are at Playa Samara, the final night before flying home at Playa Hermosa. Any suggestions on a good spot between Manuel Antonio & Playa Samara for 2 nights? What would be the best route to drive to Samara from Manuel Antonio?

NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Itinerary Advice Needed

If I understand this correctly, you are flying in and out of Liberia, staying in Costa Rica for 7 nights, and want to visit 4 different beaches and nothing else. Is that right? I hope you don't mind, but I have to ask - why do you want to visit 4 beaches? What are you looking for on those beaches? Why don't you want to visit any of the volcanoes or other beautiful mountain areas in the middle of the country? And why would you fly into Liberia if your first destination is Manuel Antonio? San Jose airport is much closer. Usually, for 7 nights I would recommend 2 destinations - one in the middle of the country and one on the beach, to get the best feel for Costa Rica. If you want 2 beach destinations then just go to Manuel Antonio and one other. With 3 or 4 destinations you will spend too much time driving between them. From Manuel Antonio to Montezuma you should probably take the ferry from Puntarenas. From Manuel Antonio to Samara go through the new La Amistad bridge on route 18.

Boston, MA
2. Re: Itinerary Advice Needed

The reason that we're just doing the beaches is that this is not our first trip to Costa Rica, in fact I've traveled quite extensively in Costa Rica in the past several years and just want to hit the beach on this trip. Previous trips have included Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, Tortuguero, Corcovado, Arenal, Monteverde, Playa Flamingo, Rincon de la Vieja, Santa Rosa NP, Carara Reserve, Manuel Antonio, along with San Jose. We are flying into Liberia because we plan to stay on the Pacific side and are avoiding the San Jose traffic and long slow trip over the mountains to the Pacific Coast. I agree that we are probably moving around a little too much, but want to check out various parts of the Pacific with the intent of someday spending a good part of the winter there. Thanks for the driving advice!

NY
3. Re: Itinerary Advice Needed

Oh... Now it makes sense. I wish you would have explained your experience and intentions in the original post. We flew into SJO but didn't go into San Jose, so avoided all the traffic. The drive from SJO to Manuel Antonio is much shorter than from Liberia to Manuel Antonio. Are you sure you want to go to Manuel Antonio again? If not, just concentrate on Northern Pacific and Nicoya Peninsula beaches. Another one for you to consider - Playa Grande, just north of Tamarindo. If you are looking for a quiet secluded beach this would be it. We were there at the end of December and I can tell you more about it if you want. I have seen people staying in Malpais as alternative to Montezuma, so you might want to consider that.

NY
4. Re: Itinerary Advice Needed

One more thing - In case you haven't seen this yet, here is an interesting site that even has maps of each town with hotel locations.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Boston, MA
5. Re: Itinerary Advice Needed

Thanks, I haven't been to Playa Grande yet, but it sounds pretty nice. I have seen the Nicoya website, but didn't check it out in depth. In any case, we'll be there this time tomorrow, so can't wait!