We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amor de Mar and Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
reviews: 1
Amor de Mar and Montezuma

hello, am planning a trip to CR for two mid 20s. we are considering staying in amor de mar. any suggestions or reviews? also, where can i find out information about some of the things to do such as the canopy tour and snokel trips? Thanks

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
1. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

I dont think there are any canaopy tours or snorkeling in Montezuma. Local activites include a horeback ride to a waterfall that emptys onto the beach, a local waterfall closer to town, atv renting or hiking in Cabo Blanso nature reserve.

I've never stayed at Amor de Mar but it looks wonderful from the outside and it has gotten good reviews

calgary, ab
reviews: 3
2. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

We were just at El Sano Banano in Montezeuma.

I dont recall any canapy tours but you can take a tour to Tortuga Island ($35-45us)includes 45 min boat ride 1 hour of snorkelling a bbq lunch, drinks, snacks and then another hour of snorkelling and some play time on a great beach.

Lots of opportunity for horseback ride to waterfalls or there is a great beach about 20 minute walk out of town.

There was lots of young single people in Montezuma.

Have fun

pennsylvania
3. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

thanks! an article i read recently had said that amor de mar was close to the "famed Montezuma Canopy Tour". about the snorkelling...is it a private tour or with others who sign up also?

calgary, ab
4. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

Every second store front had a snorkelling tour to the island (okay it seemed that way, but there is at least 4 vendors). Depending on the boat determinded how many people. What we looked at then was; did the boat offer shade, a toilet.... One did and they maxed out at 12 people.

pennsylvania
5. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

thanks for all your help. as a followup...is montezuma safe for two mid 20s females to travel? ie. walking back and forth to town, taking the tours, etc? never travelled in central america and was just wondering...!!

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
6. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

I'd say that Montezuma is safe. It's a tiny town and everybody knows eachother. There are plenty of people out on the streets in the evenings. bring a flashlight though because it gets really dark at night

calgary, ab
7. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

I agree with Sean220, Montezuma has a small town feel to it, lots of single people, lots of transient "hippie type folks", with beads, necklaces, and pipes for sale. A laid back casual friendly town. Take precautions like you would anywheres else. Flashlight is a great idea.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
8. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

We stayed at Amor de Mar (in Casa #1) in November and LOVED it! Our favorite place! So peaceful, loved the hammocks and chairs for reading and relaxing, long lawn with tropical foliage leading out to the sea. The tide pool at high tide was also fun. you are close to town for walking (easy and safe)but away from the noise out here. A little beach by the river, but otherwise, more lawn and rocks with tide pools. Best beach is on other side of town by the Ylang Ylang. Breakfast here was also good and you can get a large fresh orange juice for $2 in the morning. The two casitas have cool garden baths and second stories with wrap-around porches with awesome views. The whole place has an artistic touch to it which we liked. Very unique. Montezuma had lots of great restaurants at reasonable prices, but bring plenty of cash, cuz only a few places take credit cards. And, yes, there is a canopy tour (Montezuma waterfall canopy tour) which you can easily book in town at the tour shops. You'll see it. It was a blast! You go soaring high above one waterfall and river, and there was a howler monkey next to one of our platforms. Also a highlight was the Tortuga Island tour, which we did with Zuma Tours. Excellent lunch, beautiful island, surprisingly good snorkeling (for the Pacific) and great day for only $40 pp. Also, take walks down the road to Cabuya in the morning before 8 a.m. and check out the monkeys playing in teh trees near the river that crosses the road. I'd love to answer any other questions...Amor de Mar is AWESome!!!

pennsylvania
9. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

thank you all so much for answering my questions! i am looking forward to a trip there in early May. one more though...:) i have read posts in the general c.r. forum about vaccinations, but was wondering about montezuma specifics? should we do the malaria and hep a? thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
10. Re: Amor de Mar and Montezuma

I would check with your local health dept. about vaccinations. it generally isn't a concern in that area, though. We never saw any mosquitoes. Bring bug spray to be safe, though.