We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma trip report

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, Virginia
reviews: 13
Montezuma trip report

I came back a beautiful couple of days at Montezuma..hopefully my experience will guide some future visitors.

>>Hotel: El Jardín

Kudos to the photographer of their website, who made the hotel seem a lot bigger than it actually is.. my first impression was: well, this seems a bit different..

Anyway, we got to the front desk at lunch time, so the person in charge was gone, some random (security?) guy gave us access to our room by just telling him the name on the reservation. Once we got to the room (after climbing a ton of stairs.. this is certainly not an adequate hotel for any person who would have physical trouble climbing hills and stairs), we thought it was alright.. A/C and fridge worked very well.. however, we had only one shower towel (no hand towels, etc) in the bathroom and after using the toilet for the first time, sand started coming out of it. The staff was very useful, however, and they took care of this in a timely manner. The guy at the front desk was nice and the cleaning service was very good.

The pool was great.. too bad they don't specify on their website that the wifi service is only available at the pool, which would have kept me from carrying my laptop on this trip (the battery doesnt work well and there were no plugs around at all).

One thing that was certainly disappointing was our so-called "ocean view".. of course they cant do much about the trees on the beach, but trees on property are not trimmed at all, which blocked the views from our room even more.

Location can not be complained about.. the hotel is right in the center of town, which makes the need of a rental car dissappear.

All in all, El Jardín is a very good choice for the budget traveler.

>>Food:

The Bakery: very good breakfast.. the fruit was a bit over-ripe, so I didnt enjoy it as much

Soda La Naranja: probably best breakfast we had.. great value and excellent, fresh food

El Sano Banano: second favorite dinner on the trip.. I very much enjoyed movie night, I think its a great idea.. I asked for my tuna to be medium-rare, and I got it fully cooked, though.. and the mashed potatoes were a bit over salty, but the dish was very good overall and the ginger lemonade was great

Puggo's: we got a (very) small entree, though it was tasty and the main dish (hummus and falafel) was certainly not the best hummus and falafel Ive had.. it was bit bland.. tasty, though

Playa de los Artistas: BEST meal we had without a hint of a doubt.. it is beyond my misunderstanding how does Puggo's rank higher than this restaurant, when this is so much better! Yes, of course it's pricier than the rest, but the portions are generous and the flavors have no match.. it is worth every penny.

>>Tortuga Islan tour with Zuma Tours

Very well priced.. Lunch was very tasty, service was great, the snorkeling was alright (I honestly expected better.. not in their control, though).. Tortuga Island is beautiful!

All in all I think Montezuma is a wonderful place for a relaxing vacation, great for couples!

Dunwoody, Georgia
reviews: 7
1. Re: Montezuma trip report

Glad you enjoyed, we stayed there 2 nights 2 weeks ago or so. We were in the building just above the upper pool, so not too bad, but yeah, some of those rooms looked like a serious hike! Didnt see Cocolores in your review, we had 2 great meals there.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
2. Re: Montezuma trip report

Thanks for posting, I really dig Montezuma, one of my favorite little beach towns.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Montezuma trip report

Nice report...I also like a lot...Playa de los Artistas incredible good food...lovely people..

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Montezuma trip report

Playa de las Artistas is always reputed to be the best food, but I think it is the price that that puts it below 1st place. I have friends who say they pay less for the same food in Boston. So it kind of depends on your budget I guess

Cocolores is definitely my favourite balance of quality/price for supper.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
5. Re: Montezuma trip report

I thought the food was pretty good at playa de las artistes but not good enought to match the price.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 6
6. Re: Montezuma trip report

Thanks for taking the time to share!

7. Re: Montezuma trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 01, 2012