We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, Virginia
reviews: 13
HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

Although me and my bf are riding there in private transportation (Carlos, of course), a couple of our friends will be joining later and they'll take public bus from Coca Cola bus station. Although it says online that the first bus departs San Jose at 6am Im not sure when was this informations last updated.. Ive called the Transportes Rodriguez numbers provided online but I get a message I assume means there's no such number.

How can I make sure about departure times/ cost?

How early should my friends get there? Can tickets be bought in advance?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

Ask Carlos for sure!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

You can buy tickets in advance - but - it will cost you. There are services that will buy your tickets and deliver them to you. If you are in the area the day before,, just go to the bus station and buy a ticket.

Check www.thebusschedule.com/cr/ which has the most accurate information.

Also - ask around in Montezuma. People there will be very familiar with bus travel to and from San Jose.

And by the way - you don't necessarily have to take the bus from San Jose. There is a bus station in Alajuela not far from the airport where the buses going north will stop. Take any bus going north - to Canas or Puntarenas or Liberia - and get off at Puntarenas for the ferry. Take another bus on the other side.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
3. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

I've done this trip about 50 times, most recently last week.

For the direct bus you cannot buy the ticket in advance - you buy when boarding the bus. The first bus is at 6:00 am, I recommend arriving at Coca Cola by 5:30 to be near the front of the queue and sure of a seat. The only other bus is at 2:00pm which gets them to Montezuma well after dark.

Tell your friends -

-Get the taxi to bring them right inside the station

-Watch their stuff at all times - like, don't look away even for a minute

-Luggage can be stowed below on the bus, but be sure to keep the luggage tags they give you - they are scrupulous (happily) about checking them before handing over luggage.

- The fare includes in the ferry, but the bus goes on the ferry too, so checked luggage is secure.

- Hang on to the bus ticket - they will need it to reboard at the other side

-They will probably need to change bus in Cobano (7km before Montezuma), that means changing the luggage as well.

The direct bus is by far the easiest way - The 'any northbound' bus' from Alajuela works too but can be very confusing for someone doing it for the first time and invloves a lot of changes

Montezuma, Costa...
4. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

PS - Cost is around 7,000 - 8.000 colones ($14-$16 pp) including ferry - it may be less, I don't remember exactly. Last week I paid for 2 of us with 20,000, and got considerable change back. As I said that includes the ferry too.

Suffolk, Virginia
reviews: 13
5. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

Thank you so much, everyone.. specially yellabrickcr, you were most helpful.. Im sure my friends won't have any trouble getting to Montezuma

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
6. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

According to the ARESEP website aresep.go.cr/docs/…202011-05-06.xls the current fare (tarifas vigentes) for San Jose>Montezuma is 5705 colones (~$11.50)

Costa Rica
7. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

The "northbound bus" is not that hard to do - but I do agree that the direct bus is easiest. I just have a problem with schlepping into San Jose with either a $25 taxi or on the bus and then a taxi to the bus station, to get on a bus that returns and passes by the airport. The bus station in Alajuela is simple and safe and about 5 minutes from the airport.

What is involved is this

- Get off the bus at the entrance to Puntarenas. If you get the bus for Puntarenas, it will take you into town. Get a taxi to the ferry. On the other side, take another bus.

Granted, it is a little more complicated but probably more flexible because you have more choices.

Costa Rica
8. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

I'm glad you can understand that ARESEP spreadsheet, Prolijo, because it is a mystery to me! Can you explain how to read it? Thanks....

Montezuma, Costa...
9. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

Agreed Hattie, The trip back past the airport is a supreme PO, I grind my teeth everytime.

The Xroad at Baranca - I do it myself all the time (on the southbound journey too)., But I know the way and the drill

I just thought the direct bus easier for a first timer - you just get on the bus and you don't really have to think about it again until Cobano.

Even my Tico husband found the highway transfer a bit bewildering, but hey (lol) it helped solidify his trust in my spidey skills

Costa Rica
10. Re: HELP! Public transportation to Montezuma

yellabricker - I hear you! I was just proposing an alternative to that teeth-gnashing trip into San Jose and back past the airport. Some folks are more "handy" than others with the changes. But at least the OP has the information!

Your good experience and knowledge, as usual.