We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma with kids?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 1
Montezuma with kids?

Am I crazy to consider flying all night and day to get to stay in Montezuma for a week or so with 2 eleven year-olds and a fifteen year-old? I'm sure they'd enjoy the waterfalls/pools and the beach and the zipline (wherever that is.) I'd like to relax too, though. We're pretty low-key and need to be thrifty. I'd rather not rent a car if we can find enough amusements for the kids locally. ATV is out of the question. We do snorkel, so maybe Tortuga Island would be good... I'm up for walking, though one of the kids is a bit of a whiner about it. I have some lame high school/college Spanish, not even sure I would need this, sounds like kind of a tourist town - do a lot of people speak English? I'm fine either way; just wondering. My kids don't speak any Spanish, and I would like to be able to offload them occasionally with the 15 y.o. to get a break... We're pretty arty and live low on the hog at home. Mainly I would buy groceries and get them ice creams or smoothies. I just want it to be worth schlepping them all there on 3 planes, overnight... When we went to Hawaii we stayed in low-density Puna, no beaches to speak of, just to avoid the condo areas... Montezuma area sounds kind of similar to Pahoa, HI, which was right up our alley. Are the mosquitoes bad in June? One of my sons and I are prime targets for them...

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Montezuma with kids?

Montezuma is very small, but one of my favorite little "beat-nik" towns. Is very laid back, kind of a hippie vibe. I would recommend Tortuga Island for a change of pace, the kids will most likely dig that.

Will there be enough activity? Thats tough to say, there are plenty of things to do but not the same level of activity you find at Arenal volcano for instance. IMO you will be okay for a week.

Mosquitos are never too bad, but bring bug spray. Also note that the mosquito that carried Dengue fever is a daytime biter, and has striped legs.

Cheers

Inca

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 13
2. Re: Montezuma with kids?

You'd be ok for a week but if it were me I'd either rent a car for that length of time so you could do a couple day trips or look into the bus schedule. It sounds like you want to keep the budget low, hence not a lot of expensive tours, so in that case Montezuma would be a good choice but if you want to be more active and take up more tours there may be better choices. My daughter and I are mosquito magnets as well. I always go well prepared with an over 30% DEET product (usually wipes and either the lotion or spray) and keep with me at all times (but we do a lot of hiking so of course you don't want to get stuck in the middle of a hike with nothing to protect yourself with).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
3. Re: Montezuma with kids?

Not crazy, but if it were me I'd forget the last plane ride and overnight in San Jose/Alajuela. The next day rent a car, take the ferry and have a car available for day trips to Cabo Blanco and MalPais Santa Teresa. You can get to either by bus but with teenagers you might enjoy the chance to get around on your own schedule. Wouldn't cost you any more than flying into Tambor and might actually be less to rent the car for a week. The road trip and the ferry would probably be entertaining for the kids.

Word of warning. When we were there last June none of the beaches around Montezuma were swimmable, due to reported undertows at some and the water was full of logs at others making for tricky wave jumping. I wouldn't go back to Montezuma in rainy season because I couldn't actually swim in the ocean. I would happily head to MalPais/Santa Teresa however which has better beaches and surfing to keep the teens occupied. Just my opinion.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Montezuma with kids?

Thx very much for all the input and also the 'pm' regarding the beaches. All very useful info.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 33
5. Re: Montezuma with kids?

Hi I spent a week in Montezuma and loved it. I too would stay the night in San jose check out adventure inn. Some of the beaches in Montezuma are rocky and very strong under tow I would be careful with kids. You can zipline, ATV, horseback, walk to the water falls, tortuga island I really liked but the snorkeling is not too great. Montezuma has lots of places to eat and shops.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Montezuma with kids?

Not Crazy at all

Casacolores is a very family oriented place about 1 km from Montezuma. A $4 taxi ride gets you to or from town, which would save you a rental vehicle, it is also on the main bus route between Cobano & Montezuma (the but maybe not up. It only costs C300/pp). It is also perfectly walkable

They speak English there.

What someone said about logs in the water and recomminging Malpais - it actually changes week to week and depends on the tide. And actually Montezuma has way less problems with riptides than Malpais/Santa Teresa - if you look on the map, Montezuma is around the inside curve of the penninsula and less exposed to the open ocean. Waves can be rough near town, but out on Playa Grande are usually very gentle

True, snorkeling is not great in Montezuma - you'd need a day trip tp Tortuga Island for that.

My opinion is that you can do this, keep the kids happy, not bother to rent an expensive rental car. Check out shuttles too - Tur Bus is a great one catering to Montezuma

There is lots to do here - waterfall hikes, ziplining, horseback tour, Cabo Blanco, Tortuga Island, Ziplining. - Check Trip Advisor 'Things to Do' for Montezuma.

Loads of people speak English (or are eager to try to understand it). No worries on that front. Maybe just get the kids a basic phrase book?

Definitely stay overnight in San Jose or Alejuela and head here the next day. The ferry ride is wonderful, so you don't want to do it in the dark

Santa Teresa, Costa...
reviews: 27
7. Re: Montezuma with kids?

I have been to Montezuma a few times and absolutely love it! The zipline to the waterfall is wonderful, as well as the short hike to the base of the falls where the pools is delicious. By far, the highlight was a great horseback ride with a company called Indiana which is very family friendly. The horses and the staff were awesome. The midpoint is at the waterfall where we were treated to fresh pineapple by our guide. The swim was incredibly enjoyable as well. I dont think they have a website up but try asking around in town. I got info from el Sano Banano in town.

8. Re: Montezuma with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 30, 2012