We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 11
Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Being near the ocean (in Montezuma) made me crave some sushi, so my girlfriend and I stopped into El Sano Banano restaurant. The sushi was fine -- on par with the mid-range joints I frequent in DC -- but nothing to write home about. Two huge problems inspired my to write this post, though:

(1) We asked to see a cocktail menu when we were seated, and were told they wouldn't be serving drinks that night out of respect for some religious event that was occuring. We were completely fine with this, until we noticed a waiter 2 tables down serve margaritas to two young girls, with a wink, and a request that they not tell anyone. Then our own server brought a glass of wine in a coffee mug to the elderly couple sitting on the other side of us. We found this incredibly annoying, to say the least.

(2) We sat outside in the garden area fairly early in the night, before most people had arrived. Two drug dealers apparently took the relative emptiness of the garden as a cue to set up shop and negotiate a deal. They began to pull scales and bags of marijuana from out of their bag, until they noticed I was watching them. At least then they had the decency to pack their stuff back up, and wait for us to leave. But it certainly made for an awkward 10 minutes. A server came over at one point to check on them, but them left them be with a quick exchange of "esta bien." He seemed to not be too surprised by their presence, and their total lack of interest in purchasing any food or drink.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Sorry to heard that...did you try to contact the American owners about the situation...they may like to know!

roadadvisor

Note: last time that I asked they were Americans that owned the place...sorry if they are from somewhere else!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 85
2. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Sounds annoying, but if that's the low point of your trip, it must have gone pretty well.

Costa Rica
reviews: 3
3. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Thank you for posting this message though we would have preferred a direct communication with us. We are looking into the matter with our manager at El Sano Banano. We are taking immediate action. Thank you for alerting us...

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
4. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

I have to say -- the post really didn't live up to the headline! For me, a "horrible experience" would have been finding a rat under my chair, finding a roach in the sushi, getting sick from the food, witnessing a fist fight..... this kind of thing.

What you experienced was unfortunate but hardly "horrible."

Anyway, glad you liked the sushi.

Germany
5. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Let me answer backwards

2) the booze thing was not good. I had a simaler experience at PUGGOs - when I ordered a beer along with the lavish lunch my friend and I were ordering, I was told they had no license and I could not bring in my own can. Like you, that was cool until I noticed a woman at another table drining beer from a big bottled stashed under her table. When we questioned that, we were told it was because she was not a customer, but a friend of the owner. We reported to management who seemed bemused, so we cancelled our order and left.

I have to agree though - you should have reported it to the management directly. And BTW - the only religious event where there are alcohol restrictions is Semana Santa - so unless you are talking about almost a year ago, which I assume you are not, is not until April 17 this year.

1) The drug dealers - they are shameless and the back garden, when relatively empty is a perfect place for them to set up. However, I disagree that the hotel should be responsible for monitoring them. And as for the waiter - he is only a waiter doing his job. By tackling 2 drug dealers he may well be putting himself in danger if he he did anything other than ask them to leave and say 'esta bien'. All in all I think it unfair to blame the hotel or the waiter.

I agree 'horrible experience' is way too dramatic for what actually happened. 'Annoyance' at the drink thing I get, but please reserve the term 'horrible experience' for things more serious.

Otherwise, I hope your trip was great.

Costa Rica
6. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Can you please describe who the server was? I can also provide you with photographs of our waiters... I appreciate your help in this matter... Let me know if you are willing to collaborate with us...

Costa Rica
7. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

GreenBean -- I recommend that you and uumatter correspond by private message rather than on this board.

To send a private message, just click on the poster's name and you will see a little line that says "Send me a Private Message."

Costa Rica
8. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Thanks Hattie!

Costa Rica
9. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

Good luck uumatter - hope you can get this straightened out.

10. Re: Horrible experience at El Sano Banano Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 24, 2012