We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centennial, Colorado
reviews: 1
Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

Thanks for all the great info on this forum. I am planning on visiting Montezuma in June for a few days and was planning on taking the ferry with the rental car. I don't see many people doing this. Are the roads that bad? I would just be staying around the Montezuma area. Are the taxis and busses pretty cheap? And if you do have a vehicle, does it have to be a 4X4??

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

It is better to have a 4x4...so many nice roads in middle of nowhere...better to have a 4x4 to explore the area...and yes some roads around there are bad...

A lot of people do that...take the ferry to Paquera...and then Montezuma...etc...etc...

roadadvisor

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

In my opinion. taking the ferry is the only way to get to Montezuma.

calgary
reviews: 30
3. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

We took the ferry on Feb 9th and stayed at Santa Teresa for a week. We have a Bego Suv and didn't have any problems.

Yes, some of the roads are very rough and dusty, but no big problem

Enjoy

Centennial, Colorado
reviews: 1
4. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

Thanks for all your great information.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

If you are going to stay around Montezuma, why not just take a shuttle or bus and the ferry to get here & decide when you are here if you really need a car? You can arrange a rental in town

You can always rent an ATV on the days you want to explore and not pay for an expensive car on days you just to walk around or lie on the beach.

If you do decide on the car - best to get a 4x4.

Hope that helps!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 25
6. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

the first hour or so of the road from the ferry to montezuma is rough! If its dry then a regular car can do it. If its rainy then a small 4x4 like a jimny or terios/bego is adequate.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
7. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

We were in Montezuma last June and didn't find much use for a car. The town, waterfall and beaches are all easily navigated on foot. We did rent an ATV to visit Cabo Blanco and Malpais and went places you might not take a rental car (forded 3 rivers).

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 67
8. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

If you're going in June, get a 4X4 if you rent a vehicle. Some of those roads are tough during the dry season. I can't imagine driving them in rain.

9. Re: Driving in the Nicoya Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 23, 2012