We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma and Mal Pais - how much time?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto ON
reviews: 6
Montezuma and Mal Pais - how much time?

Heading to CR for 16 days in February with my boyfriend-- can't wait!

Trying to do it affordably (but without sleeping on separate beds; ), with activities/adventure, but with a lot of good R&R time.

Check out my idea and let me know! we're renting a 4x 4 the whole time and hope to keep it SOMEWHAT loose, but i need a framework:

Flying into San Jose, out of Liberia.

Plan so far -- feel free to add your input!

Arrive SJO (night) - Monteverde - Quepos/Manuel Antonio - Jaco - montezuma - Mal pais - drive up coast (samara, any other good stops?) end near liberia, fly out.

My questions:

- Monteverde SOUNDS magical, many have recommended... worth seeing/zip lining...but is it really worth taking away time on the coast?

- Manuel Antonio - given i'm trying mostly to make our way to montezuma/mal pais to really chill out, but have heard great things about MA: how many nights would you spend in Manuel Antonio/Quepos (any affordable reccommendations?)

- then en route over to the Nicoyan tip, drive to Jaco and spend a night, maybe to party for a night as i hear it's quite lively, and eat at the treetop restaurant. Any need to stay longer??

Ferry to Montezuma - sounds like my heaven on earth, can't wait. Snorkelling at Turtuga, the falls, just BEING in montezuma is the plan.

BUT, i look forward to some surf lessons in Mal Pais, and instead of commuting, figure maybe a few days in Montezuma and a few days in Mal Pais? How many days would you spend in each (keeping in mind we have to drag our butts up to liberia end eventually)

THEN - say goodbye to the tip, Long (and occasionally trecherous i hear) drive up coast, maybe stay in Samara...make way up to Liberia area

ANy help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Montezuma and Mal Pais - how much time?

Sounds like you're still in the brainstorming phase! lol

To me it sounds like a little too much for 16 days.

BUT - if you want time in MA and a party night in Jaco I'd say to do the party night on the way to Nicoya Pen.

Myself - I would skip both and just stick to beach in Malpais/Montezuma - there is also plenty partying in both those places.

Samara is lovely, but just the same kind of beach as Monte/MP - so why waste time driving?

The ferry - from Puntarens to Paquera is gorgeous - so make sure and do the ride before dark , so is the drive to Monte/MP - being in light also helps with pothole manouvering.

What time is your flight out of Liberia? - if it is late drive up on the day, if it is early drive the day before and stay overnight - there are 2 nice places right on the highway with easy access to the airport (I would have to look up the names)

Days in Monte/MP - I would suggest 1/2 1/2 as a starting plan? You can always modify it.

I'm guessing since you are hiring a 4x4, your budget is not super tight for accomodation. In Montezuma - I would recommend: If you don't mind a 5 min drive, The Butterfly Gardens (Mariposario); Amor de Mar, or, Los Mangos. The latter are both only a 5 min walk from town. I can get website/emails for any of those if you like.

Sorry I know my advice is a bit vague, but maybe it will help you get started : ) Have fun planning & keep us posted!

boston, ma
reviews: 1
2. Re: Montezuma and Mal Pais - how much time?

Agreed. You are going to burn a lot of time on the road. Nothing looks all that far apart on the map, but travel times are much different in CR. For example, MP to Samara is about 40-50 KM, but could take 3+ hours. Pick a couple of spots and just enjoy - Monteverde/Arenal area, then to the MP/Monetzuma would be good combo.

3. Re: Montezuma and Mal Pais - how much time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 28, 2012