We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distances and travel time

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 2
distances and travel time

We are in Montezuma for a few weeks. I'm having a hard time deciding on activities because I'm not sure how much time it takes to get to places. So if someone could help me out, when in Montezuma, what can we reach in say, 1 hour driving? 2 hours?

Thanks!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 6
1. Re: distances and travel time

Nothing much, enjoy the area!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: distances and travel time

www.yourtravelmap.com

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
3. Re: distances and travel time

Hi Khava,

Often travel time depends highly on how you are travelling - by public bus, shuttle, or hire car.

However, there is a lot to do close by:

Tortuga Island day trip -boat ride, snorkeling (Zuma Tours)

Horseback riding on the beach to El Chorro waterfall (El Pinto)

Hike up the Montezuma river to the Montezuma waterfalls

Guided tour of Cabo Blanco Reserve (Cabo Blanco Traveller)

Surf Lessons or Spanish lessons (Proyecto Montezuma)

Yoga, massage and all kinds of wellness/spa therapy is available too

Day trips can be made to Malpais/Santa Teresa - you can also do surfing there - it is in fact a lot more the surf destination.

If you are looking for trips inland (Arenal/Monteverde) that is possible from here too, but they are not day-trips.

I hope this helps a little

Costa Rica
4. Re: distances and travel time

yellbrickcr - great information!

Montreal
5. Re: distances and travel time

Thank you all :)

We have a rental car, actually. I was really wondering, for instance, how long from Montezuma to Playa Samara. That sort of thing.

I'll look up the travelmap website :)

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
6. Re: distances and travel time

Hey Khava. (Quebecois, oui? je suis Canadienne de NS )

Monte to Samara - you still need to drive to Paquera, get the ferry to Puntarenas, drive to the Panamericana highway and north and cut off again.

The map shows a coastal route that looks shorter (on paper!) but I recommend not to try it. For that trip count on a day. It may not be a long day, but the trip will eat up most of you it.

One other suggestion, if it is okay. If you are already in Monetezuma, why not just do a daytrip to Malpais rather than Samara? It's a lot closer and the same coast, type of beach, etc. Samara/Nosara are gorgeous places, put if you are trying to conserve travel time, I would rather recommend Malpais/Sta Teresa, or even Tambor which are within an hour or so driving

Montreal
7. Re: distances and travel time

Thank you! Not a real québécoise, as I am originally from NB, but I do live in Quebec now :)

I was asking about Samara because I saw something about snorkling there and it seemed interesting. However, it's ok if we don't go, and choose something else.

And yes, we are in Montezuma now, will be for another 3 weeks. We're mostly interested in sight-seeing and animal watching. Maybe kayaking? I might like to try the Tortuga Island tour but am afraid of being packed on a boatful of tourists, like sardines...

Costa Rica
8. Re: distances and travel time

khavi - why don't you just go to the spot where the boat leaves on the Tortuga tour and see how packed the boat is. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Montreal
9. Re: distances and travel time

We will probably do that :)

10. Re: distances and travel time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, July 04, 2011