We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito advice

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
reviews: 63
Mosquito advice

Hi everyone

Hoping to get some advice about mosquitoes to help us decide how much 'protection' we need for our trip to CR in 3 weeks.

So I am a magnet for mossies :(

Can't go anywhere without them wanting a taste - tried DEET and as long as I'm religious about it I can usually get away with 5 instead of 50 bites if I drown myself in the stuff so obviously we'll be bringing a vat of it with us!

My question is about mosquito nets - none of the 3 hotels we're staying at in Arenal, Monteverde and Montezuma have mosquito nets. I'm taking this as a good sign - if things we're really bad they'd have them right?

My question is whether to buy my own net and bring it with us?

Looked on Amazon and there are a million and 1 types to pick from but most require something to hang it from! Can get an expensive free standing one but worried it'll take up precious space in our luggage and not be worth the effort

Any advice appreciated - I don't want to sleep each night covered in DEET so would a net be a good idea?

Cheers!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Mosquito advice

I use avon skin so soft because it works and it smells like lotion, not insect repellant! Avon also has a repellant with sunblock which is great because there are daytime mosquitoes there as well. No repellant is going to eliminate all possibility of bites. I use a combination of two things in the room. The lotion and a plug-in repellant I bought in a grocery store in cr. You insert a post stamp sized card into the warmer and plug it in. It worked great for us and it's odourless which is a big plus.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
2. Re: Mosquito advice

Sonny's idea of the plug in is excellent. Any grocery store will have these. They work great and don't have a very strong odor. I stayed in a small cottage at the beach near Puerto Viejo and there were no screen on the windows and many gaps in the walls and I wasn't bothered at all.

About the mosquito net - you could buy one but how would you attach it? There has to be something to attach it to. Some mosquito nets are made for twin beds, some for double or larger. Some are made to hang from a cord in the middle and some are more "boxy" and depend on either hanging from four cords or on bed posts. I think that the mosquito net thing is really not workable.

You will not be bothered in most hotels. Just don't leave the door to your room open. Before you turn out the light to go to bed, do a "mosquito check" and smack any of the little darlings that have sneaked inside.

If you should decide that you need a mosquito net, they are available here almost everywhere and cheap.

Wearing very lightweight long sleeve shirts and long pants will help if you are ina forested area.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
3. Re: Mosquito advice

Dear fellow mosquito magnet-

I live in La Fortuna and I use Family OFF Lotion (white bottle with an orange cap) and can be found at any Target, CVS, etc. The Family OFF has a low deet content, is non-greasy and a nice citrus smell. They also have these wipes in pre-packaged one-uses which are great to always have with you in your purse or backpack! This lotion is even fine to sleep in as it only takes one mosquito to get into your room to bite you throughout the night.

I have used the plug-ins often although I really have no idea how well they work but I think it makes me feel better. :-) I hope you find something that works for you! :-)

Wendy at The Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Mosquito advice

I lived on La Fortuna area for many years...I used some times some repellent...and everything is OK...mosquitos love me ...

roadadvsior

5. Re: Mosquito advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, May 28, 2011