We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

report from Montezuma / Cabuya trip 11/19/2010

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, Georgia
report from Montezuma / Cabuya trip 11/19/2010

If you are looking for the perfect place at the end of the road, but 5 miles from the semi don't want to be found hippie tourist town of Montezuma Costa Rica.

READ FURTHER: To explain what most “off the beaten path” tourist know, Montezuma CR would be top of the list, The search for paradise, but, if like me, paradise is truly found til at the end of the road, far but not terribly far from the crowds, but somewhat close vincenty to the grocery/beer store. That place is the Howler Monkey Hotel in Caybau Costa Rica 5 miles outside of Montezuma.

You go past the famous Montezuma Falls over 3 or 4 creeks, including the best swimming hole called the 30 meter bridge and into the fishing village of Cabayu where everything is much relaxed and 40% cheaper than Montezuma. The road from Montezuma to Cabayu is a good solid coastal road.

The Howler Monkey Hotel, owned by an great ex-pat Irish man named Jim, and his first mate Billy from New Jersey are the host of host and know all the ends and outs of the Niycoya Peninsula. Truly a one stop shop for snorkeling gear, 4 wheelers, and all around area info. Jim can make things happen with the next door neighbor, he will take you fishing for $100 all day for 2, and you can cook fish on the grill at hotel. http://howlermonkeyhotel.paradisemy.com/

What to expect at the Howler Monkey Hotel, right on the Pacific Ocean, one of the only swimming pools on the beach. A frame type housing all overlooking the ocean, with a view a Cabayu Island, and the best snorkeling found with in a 300 miles. There are also tables and chairs right on the edge of the beach where your family can play board games or have a picnic on sodded grass. It is not overly plush but clean and very comfortable. As the name suggest Howler monkeys are a common and vocal next door neighbor.

It is situated nearby a town called Cabayu (entrance to cabo blanko reserve) where you can magically buy fish ($5 US Dollar) straight from the fisherman's boat or visit the local bakery (amazing chocolate cake) and other inexpensive local restaurants. The best part was the price of $40 for my wife and I for single family deweling overlooking the clean pool and Pacific Ocean! What a priceless Costa Rica experience!

Being an executive from the USA and having stayed at Ritz Carlton's around the world I look forward to returning to the Howler Monkey Hotel where there is no TV, and no phone! Jim please consider getting rid of the wifi so I can totally forget about the outside world! If you seek total QUIET relaxation, and an exit from the outside world, this is the place.

Thanks again for total attitude adjustment, and hope to see you soon!

1. Re: report from Montezuma / Cabuya trip 11/19/2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 26, 2011