We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving question san jose to montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, New Jersey
reviews: 24
driving question san jose to montezuma

Apologies if this has already been discussed - Is it possible to travel from San Jose to Montezuma by car without taking the ferry? We will be traveling soon, renting a 4 x 4. Thank you for any input.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

The answer is really no.

You could drive north of Puntarenas to the Puente Amistad and end up on the Nicoya Peninsula from there but the roads just north of the southern Nicoya Peninsula are really awful.

I would not try it unless you are an adventure, off-road driver. What is wrong with going on the ferry? It's a lot shorter than driving to the Puente Amistad and a pleasant one-hour ride.

Newark, New Jersey
2. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

Thank you - I was just checking about options, is the first time I will be in Costa Rica and I am traveling with two young children, so I was thinking about the waiting for the ferry and wondering if direct driving would be easier. But, like you said, the ferry will probably be just fine, and the direct driving probably would not be advisable given the road conditions. Appreciate it :)

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

Good driving resource - yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

It is possible but long drive...and bad roads...take the ferry kids love it...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
5. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

I agree with all said above - the ferry is easy, beautiful ride & kids love it

Newark, New Jersey
6. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

Thanks all! These are great perspectives. The ferry it will be!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

Have a nice safe trip!

roadadvisor

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
8. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

To go from San Jose to Montezuma without taking the ferry you'd be going hours (I'm guessing 3-4?) out of your way; plus you'd be hitting some of the worse roads on the inside of the peninsula. That's why they have the ferry :)

The ferry is fun, I always enjoy the ride. The kids will love it. There's a big one and a small ferry (the bigger one is nicer, IMHO).

Do NOT do the drive at night if you've never done it before. The roads and signage are limited. 45-60 minutes after you get off the ferry (before you get to Cobano), you'll see a gas station, it's the only one around so fill up (I'm not sure if there are any others over that way).

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
9. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

FYI, I've been to Montezuma multiple times and love it.

I've blogged some photos and videos and stuff about it:

http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/

Gary

10. Re: driving question san jose to montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:58 am, June 01, 2011