We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 7
Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

Hi (again)

I have been in the area (Santa Teresa) before but this time a friend of mine is coming with me but she is afraid of flying with small planes. I used sansa before but she found some bad reports about aircrash so she want to take a shuttle (private) and the ferry instead. For me its just like 5 hour longer trip instead of 30 minutes on a plane, so my question is. Is it a nice trip/scenic view or just a bumpy road. What about the ferry, is it big, is it nice, does it has toilets and restaurants? What do you prefer the plane or shuttle/ferry I want to know everything.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

I prefer the flight as its scenic and swift. In June we took flights on both SANSA and Nature Air and found all the flights and the 6 landings very smooth. I would gladly fly again. The ferry is a much longer trip but also a scenic crossing. Theonly downside is you lose a day in transit each way. You can also take a taxi boat from Jaco to Montezuma and then hire a taxi for the onward trip to Santa Teresa. This might be the best option if you can get to Jaco by 10 for the 10:45 boat as you could spend the afternoon exploring Montezuma and its waterfall before heading on to ST. http://montezumatours.com/

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

If time isn't an issue then drive, you see more. Flying is statistically safer than driving.

Vienna, Austria
3. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

Ohh how long for shuttle from sjo to jaco and then boatride? Sounds very interresting

Vienna, Austria
4. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

What can I see? Maybee a stupid question but I want to know its worth the drive? Thank you so much for your answer

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
5. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

I've seen toucans, scarlet macaws, howler and capuchin monkeys, coatis and iguanas to name a few. Then there's the towns and villages where you can observe the friendly endemic tico in his natural habitat going about his daily routine.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
6. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

If you have been to Costa Rica before, you must know what it's like. Beautiful countryside with small towns, interesting houses, tons of flowers, gorgeous scenery of rivers, mountains, volcanoes, etc etc etc etc etc.

If you fly over it - sounds like this is not an option - you will see wonderful sights in a short time. If you drive, you will experience these things close up and personal.

For information on distances and travel times, look here: www.yourtravelmap.com

Is it "worth the drive?" Well, you won't see pyramids or parthenons or huge statues of Jesus on hillsides, but for people who have done it, a drive through the Costa Rican countryside is "worth it."

Why don't you get a private driver from Arenal to Jaco - this way you can relax and take in the scenery and stop at interesting places along the way. Then take the water taxi and a taxi on the other side.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

Both are scenic, in different ways, But if flying makes her nervous, take the plane and calm her nerves. You will still need a taxi at either end though.

If you shuttle to Jaco - 2 hours by shuttle & 1 by boat - for that you might as well take the direct shuttle/ferry and see all the country-side on the way

Montezuma, Costa...
8. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

oops - I did mean 'bus' to calm her nerves

Montezuma, Costa...
9. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

Sorry for the typo - of course I meant if 'flying' makes her nervous, take the 'bus'

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: Air or shuttle? Which one is the most scenic? Safest?

I like to drive and the boat or ferry ride...of course you will see a lot flying...but driving is a nice way...

roadadvisor