We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

Myself and a couple girlfriends are headed to costa rica at the beginning of march. We are trying to decide exactly which beach area we want to go to. We are looking for a nice beach, decent nightlife but not overly touristy or americanized. Where would you suggest? Thanks.

UK
reviews: 7
1. Re: montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

Samara and Montezuma over Tamarindo. Tamarindo is much more touristy that either of the other two, the trade off is the nighlife is not as happening. Samara has a lovely beach and some fabulous bars and restaurants as does Montezuma. The advantage Samara has is it's easily accessible whereas Montezuma needs some serious travelling (which in itself is great if you choose to drive it from Nicoya!!!).

Hope this helps.

Matt

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

thank you. Is it really difficult to get from tamarindo to montezuma? We are not planning on renting a car. Is there a shuttle there? HOw long will it take? Is it worth the time and energy to get there or should we just go to samara?

UK
reviews: 7
3. Re: montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

I'm not sure how the shuttle will get from Tamarindo to Montezuma. I would imagine it would go all the way back to Puntarenas and then get the ferry which is a real drag. Samara is obviously a lot more convenient from Tamarindo but not as unique a place as Montezuma. If you are set on going to Tamarindo and you're not driving, you're probably best continuing on to Samara. Samara is a nice enough place. The other option is hiring a private driver and going wherever you please! Once in Montezuma, there are daily shuttles to other destinations.

BTW, make sure you have plenty of cash as there's no ATM in Montezuma or Samara (there is sometimes a mobile ATM in Samara but don't count on it!).

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
4. Re: montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

Another option of traveling between Tamarindo and Montezuma is taking a boat directly. I believe I saw places there that will do that. check the Nicoya website and look for Aventuras en Montezuma, Zumatours, etc.

We just loved Montezuma. It was easy to get around between hotels, beaches, waterfall hike, and town (with shops, street artists, lots of good restaurants). Beaches just weren't crowded, and lovely.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 85
5. Re: montezuma over tamarindo or samara?

Another idea is to visit Mal Pais from Montezuma, which is a short shuttle ride and would give you the whole surfer scene. We enjoyed the pretty drive from Montezuma to the ferry. It's mostly paved from Tambor to Montezuma, so not that bad.