We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport for Montezuma?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
Best airport for Montezuma?

Hi All,

I am traveling with a group of four in February and we are trying to decide which airport is best for Montezuma. Our vacation rental contacts recommends San Jose but some friends say Liberia. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 107
1. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

Either Liberia or San Jose will work, just go with whatever airport gives you the better price or connections!

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

For good air fares...SJO...

From SJO airport to ferry boat about 1 hour and 30 minutes...about 1 hour and 40 minutes ferry boat...and about 40 minutes to Montezuma....about 4 hours with all the correct connections...plus waiting time to get into the ferry in Punatrenas..

From LIR...to Montezuma by Peninsula road...about 4 hours...terrible road in some sections...but fun...

As a driver and a guide I like better SJO...more relax...less road time and very important from SJO mostly good road all the way to Cobano...from there the same...bad road.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

Either one works, but you can probably get a better fare to San Jose, as said above, and it is what I, myself would prefer.

However if cost is not a huge problem, Liberia is good too

The onward travel advice will depend on if you are travelling by bus, shuttle or driving.

FYI - This past week, they made great improvements on the Cobano road. By Feb, it may still be great, or may have deteriorated. If driving, you'll probably want a 4x4.

Edited: 11:07 pm, November 01, 2010
London, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

just a question about getting from Montezuma from Liberia... what are the transport options if we dont want to hire a car or a taxi. Is there are bus we can catch?

thanks

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
5. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

There are buses you can catch. Look here: www.thebusschedule.com

Basically, there are two ways to go by land from Liberia to Montezuma. One is to travel down the Nicoya Peninsula which people like to avoid since the roads are pretty bad. The other is to head for Puntarenas, using the InterAmerican Highway and then cross to the Peninsula using the ferry. Here's more information about the whole area: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
6. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

Yeah, but once you go the long way (from Liberia to Punt.) you've still got to take the ferry back across to get to Montezuma.

I drove it down the inside of the Nicoya Peninsula once, the roads were bad (and it was the end of August so lots of rain) but it got me to Montezuma. That's the way to go if you have a car (and by car, I mean a 4x4, even a mini one).

Unless you get a good price I'd go to San Jose. I usually spend the night and use a shuttle bus to get to Montezuma (forty to fifty dollars). I don't want a car for the whole week (actually I do, but I don't want to pay for it) so I shuttle it there and then rent something if I want to go somewhere else....

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

Roads to Montezuma from Liberia not in good condition once you getting closer to the Peninsula tip...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
8. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

The thing is, Gary, it is longer to go from Liberia to Montezuma by way of Puntarenas and the ferry, but it is a better route unless you are an adventure, off-road driver. Muddy, rutted roads and crossing rivers is not my idea of fun. But for some people it would be. Also... it may end up being the same amount of time or similar.

It really depends on how adventurous the OP is.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
9. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

If you fly into San Jose, you can fly to Tambor on either SANSA or Nature Air and take a taxi the 30-40 minutes into Montezuma. An even better option if you;re flying into San Jose is to head for Jaco (Villa Caletas) the 1st night and the next morning take the taxi boat directly to Montezuma. zumatours.net/taxi_boat_montezuma_jaco.html You can rent quads in Mointezuma to get around and visit Cabo Blanco and MalPais

10. Re: Best airport for Montezuma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2011