We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

Family of 5, children ages 12,14 and 15 yrs. We are spending the first part of our vacation in this area so I can take a photography class that will be near the Curu wildlife refuge. What area would you recommend for beach front accomodations? We are an active family and will want to go to waterfalls, hiking, snorkeling and possibly scuba diving. But we definitely want to stay on the beach since the rest of our trip will be in MA and Arenal areas. Can anyone tell me exactly where this wildlife refuge is? Thanks.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

I love this area of Costa Rica, I think you would be fine in either location, I answered your other message with the hotel Flor Blanca in Mal Pais, that is a nice option, in Montezuma look for Ylang Ylang resort - http://www.ylangylangbeachresort.com/

Cheers

Inca

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

Driving directions from San Jose: to Curu..

Drive to Puntarenas (2 hours depending on traffic), take the ferry to Paquera (1 to 1 1/2 hours) drive to the entrance of Curu 30 minutes.

It is located at the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula..

Of course Montezuma or Santa Tereza closer to Curu...Samara kind of far...about 3 hours by car...can be lees depending on road condition!

roadadivsor

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
3. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

I'm with Incabob, I love Ylang Ylang! Montezuma is a great spot for a family, with multiple waterfall hikes along the river and ocean, and wildlife and great eats!

Hope this helps,

Marina K Villatoro

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 21
4. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

If I understand your question right, you want to stay at beachfront accomodations while you take daily classes at Curu. Samara is way too far for a daily trip. Even Montezuma is too far away to make this trip back and forth daily for a week IMO. The road into Montezuma is unpaved and none of the roads around are particularly speedy. I would strongly urge you to find a spot in Tambor if you are going to spend the week at Curu. The Tambor beaches are not quite as nice as Montezuma, but they are also not an hour away. See map and lodging at http://www.curutourism.com/en/map and you might also ask for recommendations from whomever is offering the class.

Texas
5. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

Thanks for all your help. I will probably only be one day at Curu. The rest of the time will be on the beach or at the waterfalls, enjoying nature and hiking. It was recommended to stay in Montezuma, Mal Pai, Santa Teresa, Playa Carmen or Playa Hermosa. I prefer to stay near the best beach where we can be the closest to the beach. Many have recommended Ylang Ylang. I was just looking for other ideas as well. We would prefer to have AC if possible.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

Good idea...look a little bit more...nice a/c around there is great!

Let me know if you have any more questions...

roadadvisor

7. Re: Samara vs Montezuma/Santa Teresa area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, March 31, 2011