We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento
Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Searched around a couldn't find the answer. So Im hoping that I can find help here.

Im planning a trip to Montezuma and Ylang Ylang but Im having a hard time getting to the actual hotel. Seems like the bus and ferry are the best ways. How early do I have to arrive in San Jose to make the ferry? I've heard the buses leave every hour, what about the ferry ?

sacramento
11. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Yeah I just checked again. Without a promo code, 2 adults during march is $297 for Montezuma to Tambor. That's a bit out of our price range :(

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
12. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

That is way to much. Even I would go for the ferry with that price ;) Another alternative is to get to Jaco and do the taxi boat. The taxi boat is fun. We always see some marine life, dolphins, sea turtles, etc. It only leaves once a day around 10:30 am and it takes about an hour to get to Montezuma.

sacramento
13. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Yeah most of the transport methods require getting there early. Tough for us coming from California. Not a lot of flights that leave in the middle of the night.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
14. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

when will you be arriving? I would suggest staying the first night either near the ferry in Puntareanes or near the Taxi Boat place in Jaco. Then the next day will be a shorter travel day. If you do the ferry make sure you allow enough time to get a ticket. One time when we went to catch the ferry the line was really long and we would have missed the ferry if someone at the front of the line would not have bought our tickets for us.

San Jose, Costa Rica
15. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Contact ZUMA and get the boat out of Herradura...some affordable places to stay there...

Bus from San Jose to Herradura about $5.00 per person...a night in a small place maybe $ 50.00...then boat to Montezuma next day..that is a good affordable way to travel to Montezuma...

roadadvisor

sacramento
16. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Right now it looks like we'll be arriving at 9:40. How's this for shuttle / ferry timing?

reviews: 1
17. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Hi, I am interested in finding out about using the Zuma Shuttle as an option to travel from SJO to Montezuma and back. Can you, or anyone give me feedback on this option. Perhaps if anyone has actually used this service and what their thougths are on using this to get to Montezuma.

Thank you,

Greg

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
18. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

I have used Zuma Tours many times. Contact them and tell them what you want and see how much it will be. I don't know when you are arriving in SJO so can't help much more then this. You will probably need to spend the night either in SJ or Jaco before you can get a taxi boat to Montezuma. If you have a larger group of people you can get a private boat, then it leaves on your schedule.

Edited: 12:13 pm, November 17, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
19. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

You see another BEST way to get there!

roadadvisor

Edited: 6:51 pm, November 17, 2010
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
20. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Consider a company like http://montezumaexpeditions.com/

(there's a bunch of them, like interbus), they'll pick you up at your hotel and take you to montezuma for $40-$45.

I only mentioned them in particular since that's who I rode with today. They picked me up from my hotel and dropped me off at my hotel and paid for my ferry ticket (but I was responsible for my luggage during the ride, the shuttle didn't cross, we got on a different one on the other side).

If you've got 4 or more people you can usually rent a whole van for $160-$200 (I think, I've never done that).

Gary

Edited: 8:31 pm, December 20, 2010