We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento
Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Searched around a couldn't find the answer. So Im hoping that I can find help here.

Im planning a trip to Montezuma and Ylang Ylang but Im having a hard time getting to the actual hotel. Seems like the bus and ferry are the best ways. How early do I have to arrive in San Jose to make the ferry? I've heard the buses leave every hour, what about the ferry ?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

The best is by the ferry...San Jose, Puntarenas, ferry, bus to Montezum or taxi...

Puntarenas-Paquera Paquera-Paquera

Temporada baja (23 julio-30 nov)

08:30 am

01:30 9m

08:30 pm 5:00 am

11:00 am

04:00 pm

Temporada alta (1 dic-30 abr y 1 julio al 22 julio)

8:30 am

1:30 pm

6:30 pm

10:30 pm 5:00 am

11:00 am

04:00 pm

08:30 pm

Tarifa Colones

Adultos

Niños

Vehículo Liviano

Carga Liviana

2 Ejes

3 Ejes

4 Ejes

5 Ejes

Motos

Cuadraciclo

Bicicletas c710,00

c430,00

c4.450,00

c5.610,00

c8.850,00

c10.200,00

c11.950,00

c15.000,00

c1.350,00

c2.700,00

c300,00

NAVIERA TAMBOR

FERRY PAQUERA: Teléfono 661-2084

Horario de Lunes a Domingo

Puntarenas-Paquera Paquera-Paquera

4:30 am

8:30 am

12:30 pm

4:30 pm

8:30 pm 6:30 am

10:30 am

2:30 pm

6:30 pm

10:00 pm

Tarifa Colones

Adultos

Niños

Motos/

Vehículo Liviano

Carga Liviana

2 Ejes

3 Ejes

4 Ejes

5 Ejes c630,00

c350,00

c1.350,00

c4.550,00

c5.610,00

c8.850,00

c10.200,00

c11.950,00

c15.000,00

You just have to Google...ferry paquera....

roadadvisor

sacramento
2. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Great Information. What site is this ? Do I want to go to Tambor or Paquera to get to montezuma ?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
3. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

There is actually a bus from the Coca Cola Bus Station to Montezuma. These things are always subject to change - but it leaves at 7.00 AM and 3.30 PM - takes about 5 hours and saves you from having to figure out the connections. If you plan to do this I suggest you have someone contact the bus company to verify the current schedule. The phone number according to the schedule is 2642 0219

Have a look at this bus schedule for point to point routings (those involving no changing of buses).

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

The other way - is as you already know is taking a bus to Puntarenas - they do run about every hour. Then in Puntarenas you have to get to the ferry terminal. You then take the ferry to Paquera. Roadadvisor has given you the schedule. Then at Paquera, you take another bus to Montezuma. You can have a look at this bus schedule for connections

http://www.thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php

That schedule is great for piecing together connections - but for some reason sometimes it tends to miss the simple no connection options...

Anyway it looks like the last bus from Paquera is at 7.00 PM.

good luck

pura vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Two ferrys you can take Tambor or Paquera...same location...you just google...paquera ferry...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Hi There,

I live in Montezuma, and I do this trip regularly.

I haven't read through the other postings in detail so I may repeat or contradict some info. But I do know this journey very well

Firstly - before I get into transport info - you don't mention dates, so know that Ylang Ylang is closed right now for the next 2 months. I think until the beginning of Nov. Their sister hotel is El Sano Banano in town, which remains open.

The best way is the direct bus from the Coca Cola station. It leaves at 6am or 2 pm (that is current, but the times do sometimes change). The sign on the bus may also say Malpais/Santa Theresa, but it is the right bus. The bus goes on the ferry, so you reboard the same bus on the other side of the ferry so you can check your luggage and not have to worry about it on the ferry. You may have to change bus in Cobano (7 km from Montezuma where the road splits to Malpais) - but the driver will indicate what to do.

The ferry company is called 'Tambor' but the ferry goes to Paquera. There is no ferry that actually goes to the town of Tambor. If you take the direct bus, it is easy and you don't even have to think about anything until you get to Cobano when you need to pay attention to directions from the driver.

I would highly recommend the early bus, just because it gets you to Montezuma before dark so you can get your bearings.

If you want info on other options, just let me know, I have done the trip that way too, but I assure you, the direct bus is the easiest way if you can manage to meet the times.

Hope this helps

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Good info by yellabrickcr....and by the way I have had been doing that trip...since they open the ferry...and it works great...we used to take that ferry to get to Samara...was faster some years ago...than driving all the way by Liberia...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
7. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

I have a different opinion on the "best" way to get to Montezuma. The "best" way means something different to each person. For me the best way is the most convient and comfortable. Flying from San Jose to Tambor is very easy if the flight times work for you. I also prefer taking the taxi boat from Jaco to Montezuma. I am not a fan of the ferry. The ferry is the cheapest option.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 33
8. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Hi I am doing this trip soon and have not done it yet. I been researching the options too. I decided to fly because of plane connections, this worked best.

flights to tambor from san jose on sansa and nature air.

nature air leaves from another Parvos 20 min from the international airport. I got the sale Loco fares for$54 dollars each way. I believe they have a sale fare at $64 and regular fare $83

The shuttle/ ferry / shuttle route not the local bus was quoted $40 each way. Everything I read said the ferry is a nice ride.

I also looked into the water taxi which leaves each morning just north of Jaco and was quoted I believe $45 which takes you right into Montezuma. This does not include transportation to the water taxi area. zuma tours has the water taxi.

just the little info I found

sacramento
9. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

Wow all the sansa and nature air flights I found were hundreds of dollars ?!?! How'd you find these deals ?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
10. Re: Travel from San Jose to Montezuma

hundreds? Worst I ever paid was $70 each way. I posted a nature air 30% off discount code on TA, but it may not be during your travel time.